SD 5-in-1 slot suddenly not working

Discussion in 'Software' started by thelostonesway, Nov 21, 2009.

1. thelostonesway

thelostonesway Private E-2

hey guys, been a while since i came back for help here, but i've got myself a problem. i dont use my sd slot very often, but i went to use it today and it no longer does anything at all when i insert an sd card into it. no pop-ups with read errors, nothing. previously ive had no problems at all. the size of the sd card is only a 1g one, but ive been reading around and i guess there was a vista hotfix that messed with the sd card readers, maybe that has something to do with this? not really sure...

im running vista basic sp 2, its an emachine EL-1200-07w, and ive attached an everest hardware report that -hopefully- has everything else needed (motherboard model ect)

i've already attempted to disable the driver, roll it back, tried uninstalling/restarting to let it reinstall itself, looked for a driver download on my manufacter's website but there isn't one availible.

edit: i also tried updating the driver, but it said it was up to date.

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

In Device Manager are their any yellow ! marks by any device, if so what?

If you open Computer Management > Disk Management (click Start and type computer managment in the Start Search box to open Computer Management) and then put in your media card and see if it lists in the list of Disks/Volumes, if it does and its not still viewable in My Computer then right click it in Disk Management and choose Change Drive Letter and Paths and change the drive letter to say Z: and then see if you can open it.

3. thelostonesway

There weren't any yellow !'s, however, it is listed(i do believe) under usb controllers, just as "Unknown Device".

And it isnt showing up at all in the computer management, with or without anything in the slot.

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

have you tried plugging it into a different usb port? and can you try on another computer?

5. thelostonesway

its not an external drive, its built in, and the card itself works on other computers, maybe i'm wrong as to which drive im looking at in the device manager? although i didnt see anything else that would really fit it description wise

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds