SD Cards causing Windows CE device to hang

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Scout353, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Scout353

Scout353 Private E-2

I have a Windows CE device which runs an application off of an SD Card. I have two SD Cards, one is a SanDisk Extreme III 2 GB SD Card, while the other is a Kingston 2GB SD Card. The only difference between the two cards, spec wise, appears to be that the SanDisk supports Flash Erase, while the Kingston doesn't.

After about 36 hours, about 30% of the devices running with the Kingston card will "hang" and I'll have to pop the SD Card out and back in to bring the device back to life. Not only does the application hang, the entire OS hangs. However, the ones with the SanDisk do not hang.

I did a benchmarking, and the SanDisk card has a much faster write speed when passing small sized data (the primary type of data I'm passing with the application I'm running). However, when there is a larger size of the data being written, they write at about the same speed.

Does anyone know why this might happen?

2. TheRealGEEK

TheRealGEEK Private First Class

it may be a factory defect, or you could try taking off all the data on the card and re-formatting the sd card then putting the data back on

hope this helps

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds