sd/mmc reader/writer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nell, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Nell

Nell Private E-2

I'm having this problem as well. I've noticed that when Windows 98 is looking for a driver, it's only looking for ".INF" files. It won't let you change what type of file it looks for either. I was able to find the driver that this computer(WinXP) uses for this device but it's a 'system' file with the extention ".sys". Thus, my Win98 doesn't see it as usable. I found I could open the drivers that Win98 was using for other working devices with Notepad but their type was 'Setup Information' and they're found in C:WINDOWS\INF instead of C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS where the files' type were 'System Files'. If there was some way to open the driver I had on my WinXP and save it as a notepad file, would that fix the problem?
    Personally I think it's pretty sad that something so simple wouldn't have a driver usable by every kind of OS :tired. Whatever, didn't the device come with a small CD with info like the driver for the reader/writer?:confused I thought it did but now that I'm looking for the CD, I can't find it. Murphy's Law I guess. Does anyone have any idea how to(if it's even possible) change the driver that comes with the device to a readable notepad file?

2. philsella

philsella Private E-2

Re: Drivers for laptop advent 7108

Hello all,
    I found this site when I was looking for drivers for my friends laptop Advent 7108. I'v had a good browse through the site and it seems to be the place to be for help :).
    I never got the drivers for the laptop with xp and I even took the laptop apart and googled all of the visible chips and parts that I could find, theres a link in one of the above posts that sends me to drivers for the 7108 but the parts are not the same and the devices were not present when I went to install them.
    Anyway, after days of trying to fix the recovery partition wich was corrupt and riddled with a virus I gave up on xp and put vista x86 ultimate on it and baddabing all drivers and no issues the laptop is running perfect without having to install anything else other than vista.
    I hope this can be helpfull because I went tru hell with this laptop trying to find all of the correct drivers and I dont think I will ever recommend an Advent to anybody, I build computers and even I have a website why they dont have a website is a joke.
    Cheers for now.

3. trusty

trusty Private E-2

Nell,
    No there was no cd or anykind of software with this reader. I got it
    from Radio Shack . As I said earlier I went to their site and none of the
    suggestions seem to work. Its sort of strange, the reader work just
    fine with an old laptop that has Windows Me on it, but I tried it on
    a newer computer with Windows XP and it doesnt recognize the
    reader with a card in it. In fact the light that indicates it has power
    doesnt ever stay lit, only comes on briefly. I have sort of given up
    and if I need to use it, I just use the old laptop with ME on it. Thank
    for your reply and interest.

Trusty

4. Nell

Nell Private E-2

I'll bet most of us got this device from RadioShack. Was it because it was advertised as $5 after $5 rebate? Mine was.
    I guess that CD I've been looking for was for something else. Bummer. It didn't work on your XP?:confused Strange. I use it on this one all the time(WinXP Home Edition). What OS is on your Laptop?
    I guess the manufacturers figured everyone's computer should know(have a driver for) how to use this simple device or they might've included a driver floppy or something like that with it. Oh well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds