SDHC Card Test

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Regulus, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Regulus

Regulus Private E-2

Is there software that can tell me the performance parameters of an SD card?
    I have purchased a Transend 32GB Class 10 card and it takes longer (about 4x) to write from my Canon camera than a 32GB no-name Chinese on.
    So I am curious to know it's actual specifications.

Cheers - Trevor

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

There's only one program I know of and it's attached in ZIP format. Make sure to read the "Read Me". I'd be leary of the "no-name" Chinese one. It could be one of those "doctored" cards that are made to seem like their capacities are much more than their actual capacities.

Attached Files:

3. Regulus

Regulus Private E-2

Thank you mdonah.
    I am leery of the chinese cards having had more than one fail. But the fact that the 32gb chinese no-name is faster at writing than the Trabscent class-10 is very weird, unless the Transcend is a relabelled class 4. it was bought from eBay.
    Cheers - Trevor

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

That may well be the case. It seems more of the Sandisk cards have suffered this, badly damaging Sandisk's reputation. Personally, I use Kingston.

5. Regulus

Regulus Private E-2

Thank you for your helpful comments and software mdonah.
    This is the test results across my 4 SD cards showing read/write speeds. I presume too that there may be some retardation in these speeds due to the older age of my laptop and it's card reader.
    Think I will pay the Australian prices for these items (and others) in future.

I think I can be confident of the Verbatim and if that is so, then the 2x Transcend cards are rebadged Class 4.
    Also the Transcend label on the SD cards have differing colours. The same range of colours but one is much darker than the other. They are not as similar as you would expect a patented, or registered trademark to be.

Transcend 32GB Class 10
    Writing speed: 3.76 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 7.11 MByte/s

Transcend 8GB Class 10 - This was supplied with my Canon Camera in Hong Kong, and I presumed an original.
    Writing speed: 3.74 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 7.07 MByte/s

Verbatim 8GB Class 4 - This came from another camera this time purchased in Australia, and presumably original.
    Writing speed: 3.74 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 7.20 MByte/s

No Name 32GB Class 6 - eBay purchase
    Writing speed: 2.86 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 7.15 MByte/s

Cheers - Trevor

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sometimes camera manufacturers recommend certain cards and classes for the camera. If your camera is older, perhaps it doesn't handle class 10 cards well. Can it handle 32 GB cards? Perhaps smaller sizes are recommended.

7. Regulus

Regulus Private E-2

Plodr.
    The camera is Canon eos600D and should be capable of class 10 and max size recommended is 32gb.
    I just think the Transcend 32 is not actually what it is labelled as.
    I will buy a new card from reputable dealer and see if there is a difference I think.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I found two items that might help with the slow Transcend.
    p45 of the manual: If the card is new...format the card with the camera.
    p46 : Do low-level formatting if the card's recording and reading speed seems slow.

9. Regulus

Regulus Private E-2

Thx plodr

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds