Seagate 500gb Expansion Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WolfBrother, Apr 4, 2010.

1. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Private E-2

I've got a Seagate Expansion drive, S/N 2GHK8M0X. It worked fine in my old computer. I just built a new one and when I plug the drive into the usb port windows fails to recognize the drive.

My previous computer was running Windows Vista, this one is running Windows 7.

Any idea on what I can do to fix this? From what I can find there are no drivers and no firmware for this drive, at least not on the Seagate site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

If it's a laptop, you could try this (fixed someone else's USB problems - interested to know if it works for you):
    Unplug power cord and take out the battery.
    Hold the start button in for 30 seconds.
    Replace battery and plug power cord in.

3. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's a desktop. And my other usb devices have no problems

4. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

You could try opening up the PC and connecting it in directly.
    Have you set the jumpers to slave (if it has them)?

5. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Scratch that jumpers thought - I forgot it worked on the old PC.
    Is the drive recognised in the BIOS?

6. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Private E-2

How do I check that?

7. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Oops! Not thinking quite right. Sorry. :-o
    I was thinking of the situation where you have it directly connected as slave in the PC, as in:
    In that case, you go into BIOS (DEL key on boot), and on mine it's in the Standard CMOS Features. Look for Primary Master & Slave and Secondary M & S.
    You can't check it when connected externally.
    BTW, where are you looking to see if W7 recognises the drive? In Device Manager? I guess so, but if not, it would pay to look there and see if anything is detected. You could have a look at View > Devices by Connection.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try a USB port in the back. I'm not sure if your external drive has its own power source. If not, sometimes the USB ports on the front are as powerful as the ones on the back.

9. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

If you go into Disk Management, do you see it showing there?

10. WolfBrother

WolfBrother Private E-2

Thanks for all the advice. I tried plugging it into the rear usb ports and now it's working. Thank you again for all the help :)

Any idea why it wouldn't work in the front? The drive has it's own power source

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sadly, no. That remains one of the mysteries of computers. I just know from reading that moving from a front port to a back port has helped some people use a device.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds