Seagate Barracuda 7200.10

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vito2k, Oct 21, 2006.

1. vito2k

vito2k Private E-2

i am thinking about putting 2 of these Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250gb hard drives in the computer i'm building. They have the perpendicular recording in them but i guess only the 750gbs also have ncq but not the 250's. i'm putting two hard drives in this comp. because it is a hassle to partion one to run xp and ubuntu. I'm rambling let me get to the point. Is it a smart move to sacrifice ncq for perpendicular recording? thanks for all the feedback.

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

By perpendicular, do you mean RAID mirroring? If so, that's a motherboard BIOS setting and has little to do with the drives. Seagate makes a great drive and backs it by the best warranty in the business (as far as I know) with a five year warranty. I think NCQ is available on many Seagate drives, from 120gb and up... Personally, I have noticed little difference in NCQ versus non-NCQ drives....

hopperdave2000 :)

3. malware killer

malware killer Private First Class

Just to help everyone avoid confusion...

You'll find a good explanation of perpendicular recording versus linear recording technology here:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2474

A comparison article about the benefits and drawbacks of the newer HDD technologies, TCQ and NCQ. As you'll see, there really isn't a good reason to insist on command-queue capable drives yet... the REAL questions are, how much storage space do you really want, and what can you afford?

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/seagate-7200.7ncq/index.x?pg=1

The bottom line is, perpendicular recording allows MUCH more efficient data storage on any HDD, while the presence (or lack) of command-queueing shouldn't be much of a factor in your decision-making process.

Hope this helps to clarify things; you probably won't see much (if ANY) real-world benefit from an NCQ / TCQ capable drive for a few years yet, but perpendicular recording pays off in vastly increased storage capacity today.

4. vito2k

vito2k Private E-2

hey guys thanks alot for the feedback, malware killer thanks for clearing the NCQ deal up for me. I have read alot about perpendicular recording it is supposed to be great. i will be purchasing 2-3 Seagate 250 gb hard drives with perpendicular recording for my new build. Thanks alot again for all the feedback. Youve totally cleared it up for me completely.

5. malware killer

malware killer Private First Class

Glad I could help you with this vito2k; best of luck with your new system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds