Seagate cloning software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oldphil, May 19, 2010.

1. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

I used Acronis just a short time back not sure if I can down load another copy, what is another good alternative?

Phil

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I use xxClone for copying drive to drive.

3. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

The drive I want to clone is in a Dell, there seems to be some discussions about Media Direct which I do not have. Are there any other issues that anyone knows of?

Phil

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Is this the older Dimension 3000 desktop or the newer Dimension 3000 laptop?

5. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I downloaded Seagate discwizard-http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard.
    I happened to stumble across it and it has the same basic operations as Trueimage 2010.
    Clone disc, backup and restore.
    One day after installing, Microsoft had me do an operation that wiped my C drive.
    After using this program, I was up and running in one hour.
    Make sure to create a boot disc.

6. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Thanks for the quick replies, the machine is a 2004 desk top that I inherited and just went through the drill wipe & reload it turned out perfect. When all goes well I like to clone the drive then disconnect the clone, that way if I do get whacked I can flip the cables wipe the bad drive and clone it back. Call me lazy but the redoing of any machine from the ground up takes hours. Thanks for the Seagate Link I just down loaded on a pen to this machine, let the fun begin!

Phil

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Congratulations.

8. Jordan Rivers

Jordan Rivers Private E-2

Just curious, what kind of hard drives are involved.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  9. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I have Seagate and WD, but Seagate just told me if you hit "alt,t, and o" at the same time, you can use any drive you want.

10. Jordan Rivers

Curious, when in the program did they tell you to apply the Alt-t-o command so that you can use their program on any manufactures hard drive to clone.

11. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I had called Seagate, because their website told me to download firmware, but I thought it didn't apply to me because of the no.
    It also warned of devastation to the drive if anything went wrong.
    Good thing I called because the message was an error.
    In the course of conversation, I asked if I could download the discwizard to a non-Seagate hard drive and was told the steps I mentioned.

12. Jordan Rivers

I guess why I am asking these questions in reference to you saying you can use DiscWizard to clone any manufactures hard drive to another hard drive using a secret command that Seagate support told you, is because that is not what is common knowledge about DiscWizard. If you Google it, the concensis according to the Seagate website is that you need to have at least one either Seagate/Maxtor(Seagate owns Maxtor) hard drive in the cloning configuration for the cloning procedure to work. If you do not, it will not function. I have used the software before, and had a Seagate hd in the mix, it worked flawlessly. I have tried it with no Seagate/Maxtor hd in the mix, and it let me know it would not function. I guess I am trying to figure out why Seagate support would tell you, a common user, in on a command to use to let you clone a drive that isn`t theirs. Oh, and in conjunction, you say when you cloned your hd, one of the drives was Seagate, have you ever cloned with no drives being Seagate/Maxtor, and with the secret commands they let you in on?

13. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    I said I had one Seagate hard drive and asked if I needed to purchase another Seagate in order to use it again.
    The other hard drives can be any mfrs.
    That's where the confusion arose.

14. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Hi all went very well both drives boot fine! The Seagate software is by Acronis, it works slightly different but it works, the drives I did were both Seagates but like mentioned above it will work on mismatches.

Phil

15. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Glad it all worked out!!

16. Jordan Rivers

I think the part on your reply where you say in post #9 that you can use any drive you want is where the confusion lays. I read that as you saying that DiscWizard can be used to clone any manufactures hard drive to any other manufactures hard drive. Glad we got that sorted out, one of the drives has to be Seagate/Maxtor for the software to work. Happy to see DiscWizard did the trick for you Oldphil.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds