Seagate Expansion External Drive 500GB, is it goosed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Always Learning, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Always Learning

Always Learning Private E-2

I have been backing up my data to my seagate external drive, but now the drive isnt recognised by my pc, ive tried different wires, different pc but still wont recognise it. The power light on external hard drive comes on, but there is an intemitted beep noise for approx 30 - 60 seconds. I have lots of stuff on the external hard drive, and some is irreplaceable, please help.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    Try plugging the drive into a rear USB port of your computer. Does this help?

3. Always Learning

Still not showing up in "My Computer" and still does the beeps :(

4. Always Learning

It seems to do 20 beeps and then stops beeping. Power light remains on

5. tgell

Is this a drive that only uses USB power or do you have to plug into a wall outlet. If it needs to be plugged in, try plugging directly into a wall outlet.

Another thing, when connected, is the drive shown in Disk Management? It may not have a drive letter assigned but I doubt that is your problem.

There seems to be many people with your problem. I would recommend you read the following thread. I would not do a chkdsk on the drive if you should be able to get it working again. You can use recovery software first. If the computer sees the drive, please post and we will go from there.

http://forums.seagate.com/t5/FreeAg...-sound-not-recognisted-HELP-PLEASE/td-p/35439

6. Always Learning

Thanks for the reply, answers as follows.

7. tgell

From the thread that I posted, it seems that the only other options are to either send it to a professional data recovery service (very expensive) or to carefully remove the drive from the enclosure and use a USB adapter connected to the drive to get the data if possible. Does the light flash rapidly or normally?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

8. Always Learning

the light is on solid, cannot afford professional data recovery service, I have read that these external drives are just the same as internal but in an enclosure. seen a couple of threads about removing it from its enclosure and connecting it directly to the pc. Do you think its worth a shot? afterall, I dont think there is anything to lose. It may be a problem with the circuit board connected to the drive, couldnt it?

9. tgell

10. Always Learning

I had managed to get my hard drive out of its case but not sure what cable i need to attach it to the inside of my pc, its not the same connection as my hard drive thats in there.

11. tgell

It is probably a sata drive. You will have to get an adapter like I listed. It is about $20. In the manual it explains how to connect a Sata drive.

[​IMG]

12. Always Learning

one like above or a SATA to IDE converter like this

13. tgell

That would work great also. And it's a lot cheaper too! ;)

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Scroll down to external drive troubleshooters and also see the last sentence
    Source: http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=193731

15. Always Learning

16. tgell

Were you able to get the adapter you linked to?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds