Seagate external hard drive not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Badgeroonie, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Badgeroonie

Badgeroonie Private E-2

I've got a Seagate 1TB external hard drive that I used to back up all my files a while ago. Since then, I have had to junk the old PC and now use a laptop. I decided it was time to check the old back-up files, but the external drive doesn't appear to be working. I don't have the original power lead so I'm using a multi-purpose adaptable adapter. No lights, no sounds of movement from within. To my knowledge the drive has not been driopped or suffered any similar fate. Any ideas of anything I can try, or should I take it to a local store for checking out?

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I would obtain an OEM adapter, from Seagate.

As it so happens, I do have two enclosures I stripped the hard drives out of, as I got them dirt cheap ($20), and the 7200.12 HDD in question was a $60 drive at the time.

Otherwise, you could crack the enclosure (not high on list, at all), and worse come to worst, use an Apricorn drivewire tool to hook it up via USB, so as to extract the data.

PM me if you are interested in the enclosure/adapter. Just cover shipping.

:)

3. Badgeroonie

Badgeroonie Private E-2

I'll see if I can get the adapter, thanks for your help.

4. Badgeroonie

Badgeroonie Private E-2

Picked up a new adapter and everything works fine. Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds