seagate free agent

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hippygirl, Mar 10, 2008.

1. hippygirl

hippygirl Private E-2

in the little bit of instrutions there was is that you plug it into your pc and wait for it to recognize the seagate free agent and of coarse the dogs were chasing a person had to stop them! when i came back i tried to disconnect through remove hardware safely button and start over but nothing happens. i need to know how get it to recognize the freeagent drive
    or how to get the windows dialogue box to appear? thanks hippy

2. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

have you tried rebooting your comp w/out the drive installed? it's best if you disable/uninstall your external h/d whenever you aren't using it. anyway, i'd start there, and let us know what's up. if you still have problems after you reboot, and your comp won't recongnize your drive try going to device manager (right click "my computer" - properties, hardware tab, device manager - screenshot below - uninstall the drivers - your drive, unplug your external h/d, and reboot). then see how it does now.

fyi, don't unplug your external h/d when it's writing or reading data (probably blinking light)., as it could mess it up. g/l, sos

Attached Files:

3. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

kestrel, everyone is going to have their own opinion. i posted your screenshot below (of their h/d). if you have that much available room, i'd leave the stuff there (ie - pics, music). i would probably make a folder(s), and copy the stuff you want to backup onto your external h/d. this way, if anything were to happen to your comp, or the external h/d, you have a backup of your pics/music, etc. now, you don't have to do this with acronis, although you could if you want.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=83877&d=1204736399 <-- your screenshot of h/d room

you also have to be careful (i've seen some posts), if they have i-tunes, etc. basically, on these other posts, they moved their music to another h/d (internal/external), and they weren't able to play their music anymore (maybe it had to do with their license?), i've also seen some not associated with the media player it is supposed to use.

if it were me, i'd use acronis to backup my os only, that way you can reload it as it is today (rather than backing up everything - pics, etc).

however, when you do a backup with acronis, are you able to view your data (some backup software you can't)? does acronis do incremental (if i said that right) backups (meaning it will only backup what has changed, it won't copy everything again)? if you said yes, and yes, then i'd probably use acronis to backup everything, as you mentioned, before i opened my trap :D

*runs and hides before i get crucified* ;) g/l, sos

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=152655 <-- Help I've Screwed up my son's Itunes <-- here's 1 of the links i was talking about (maybe she didn't copy the whole folder)?

4. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

kestrel, if she has over 100 gbyte free, then this has nothing to do with her comp running slow. i still think you all need to disable stuff in startup (but that's my opinion). did we ever see her specs (how much ram, processor speed, etc)?

burning to cd would be an option, however if you are backing up (say maybe 40 gbyte for example), it would take about 61 disks (about 650 mbyte each) :cry. dvd's about 8-9 disks or so. the point of having a backup, is that you have an actual backup (a copy), in case of data loss (ie - hard drive goes out), you have another copy, so no total loss of data. if you can do incremental backups, then that's fine, go for it. i don't have acronis, so i don't know what it does and does not do (thus me being a little vague on stuff). anyway, g/l - sos

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'd have her backup to the external drive. Having done it both ways, external and to CDs, I know that writing to CDs is excruciatingly long! To the external, it is about 1GB per minute backed up on my 2400MHz computer.
    She can, create a data disk, put her music in a folder and write the folder as data not as music. That way if anything happens, she just grabs the CD and dumps the folder back on the computer. She can do the same with her pictures. Everytime I come home from a trip, I grab the camera card, put it in the computer, copy the photos over to a folder with the name of the trip and burn to a data CD just for pictures. My picture CD currently has folders of 3 trips and room for more. So if anything happens to the camera card I'm covered. I also don't need to store the pictures on the computer after I've finished cropping nd deciding what I wnt printed out.
    This also has the added advantage of taking less time when I scan because i have fewer files that the scanner has to look through.

6. hippygirl

hippygirl Private E-2

geez your bossy hahhaha

7. hippygirl

hippygirl Private E-2

this is the real hippy girl all sounds so confusing! sign emma! hahahah

8. hippygirl

hippygirl Private E-2

thanks emma! really Peg

9. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

yes, and no. it is recommended that you do this, but you don't always have to (i can hear kestrel now - "what kind of freakin' answer is that"?). :D as long as you know it is not reading or writing data to the drive (ie - blinking light - if it has one) at the moment in time, then you can unplug it. however, sometimes when you aren't using it, it won't let you disconnect (as it says something is accessing data, or whatever), so just use your best judgement. if anything, shut down the comp, then disconnect. - sos

10. hippygirl

hippygirl Private E-2

got it working and it is pretty neat! thanks everyone for your help! if it weren't for Emma her friends i would be lost! thanks again!

11. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

noooooooooooo, *slips out of thread, runs and hides* :p

glad you all got it going!! ;) - sos

12. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

DOH, just trying to help!! i just noticed i passed my 500 mark!! :major *has a long way to go to catch kestrel, dlb, plodr, etc, etc*:cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds