seagate hard drive for dvr

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matthew seaton, Feb 25, 2009.

1. matthew seaton

matthew seaton Private E-2

hello please canyou help a novice i have a swann drv recorder with a seagate hard drive in it model number st 3400832ace i had my house robbed and they ripped out my dvr recorder i found it again in a hedge down the road from my house so i bring it home and plug it in to see if i can veiw the thives at work but now its asking me for a password i have no idear why as i did not password it i realy dont know what to do is there any way i can veiw whats on the hard drive i think the drv is passworded not the hard drive is there any way of me connecting the hard drive via cables to my laptop please please help or should i just go and hand it to the police and let them try many thanks a frustated man:cry

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

You can try the password, admin, password, or the last digits of the serial number. Other than that I would call the manufacture, and see what the default password is. If they stole it from your house and discarded it in the hedge they didn't have time to plug it in and put a password on it.
    You may want to notify the police that you have discovered it, you may have contaminated any evidential value on it since you have handled it without it being processed for fingerprints.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Personally, I'd hand it in to the police. The should have a forenics dept. that can get the information off the dvr. It might also have had fingerprints on it or some sort of evidence. The less you handled it, the better it would have been.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds