seagate SATA overheat problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gauri_2984, Oct 11, 2008.

1. gauri_2984

gauri_2984 Private E-2

hello,
    I just bought seagate ST9250827AS 250 GB hard disk with transcend
    casing, on 7 th october 2008. (bangalore)
    whenver I try to do some sort of heavy work, like copying large data,
    disk check, external hard disk gets heated upto 52 degree celcious and
    casing also gets heated too much.

noramlly 43-46 C

Is there any problem in hard disk? Is it intended to operate at this
    much higher ranges??

waiting for you reply

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I did not realize it was an external drive. I looked around on Seagate's website, but for some reason could not get the data sheet for your drive. I did see where 55C was an acceptable temperature in the knowledge base. Perhaps you can poke around in here: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...reqPage=Support&supportReqTab=Troubleshooting And find out the answer. My external drive gets pretty warm when transfering stuff, but I have never measured the temp.

If the temperature is unacceptable to you, there are external enclosures that come with a fan to cool the hard drive. :cool

3. Horsey

Horsey Sergeant

I've had my Seagate 500GB external climb up to 72C in the summer months, and it usually runs between 55C and 60C in the winter. It's just over 1 year old. It also sees heavy daily use, and has no fan.

4. gauri_2984

gauri_2984 Private E-2

okk, thnx but ur 500Gb is desktop one or laptop?? mine is laptop one and does the casing can affect the hdd temperature??

my hdd was not detected twice when i kept my laptop in sleeo mode, i had to remove it and then laptop was working fine....

have u ever faced this problem??

5. gauri_2984

gauri_2984 Private E-2

thnx,
    does your external drive comes with FAN?? or just a noraml casing??

Does casing can affect the temperature of HDD?? can casing be faulty??

6. gauri_2984

gauri_2984 Private E-2

Does casing can affect the temperature of HDD?? can casing be faulty??

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

"does your external drive comes with FAN?? or just a noraml casing??

Does casing can affect the temperature of HDD?? can casing be faulty??"

No, Yes, Yes, Yes.:-D

Mine is just an aluminum enclosure. Of course the design of the enclosure can affect the temperature. And poorly built or faulty cases can cause intermitant problems.

I am still having problems at Seagate's website and can't access the data sheet for your hard drive. That should list the operating and maximum temperatures. If you want to eliminate heat as an issue, elevate the drive enclosure an inch or so, leaving space for air to flow on all sides of it, and place a fan blowing on it. Test it like that, and see how your temps are and if you have any problems.

8. Horsey

Horsey Sergeant

Mine is not portable, if that's what you mean :confused

Yes, casing can affect the hard drive's temperature, as can where it's sitting. If there's limited airflow around it, it'll naturally run hotter.

I've never had problems with mine coming out of sleep mode, but I've seen others with your problem, and I've yet to see a solution for it. I'd suggest avoiding sleep mode, if at all possible.

[quote/]thnx,

Does casing can affect the temperature of HDD?? can casing be faulty??[/quote]

No, mine doesn't have a fan. It just has the regular dark chocolate-coloured casing with the amber LED on one end.

I don't know if casing can be faulty.

I suppose Fred kind of answered all that already :eek:

9. gauri_2984

gauri_2984 Private E-2

thnx for all your answers
    i have got data sheets, as well I have given my hdd for replacemnt
    lets see now when new hdd will come...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds