Search function and volume control gone

Discussion in 'Software' started by momcrossett, Mar 15, 2008.

1. momcrossett

momcrossett Private E-2

Hi,
    I have been in the Malware Forum working on my computer with the help of Chaslang for about 2 weeks. Chaslang suggested that I go to Software Forum now and let you know all the things that are continuing to not work.
    I am using Windows XP. It is a Dell computer and it came already installed with Windows XP so I don't have a reinstall CD.
    When Chaslang was looking at some of our files, we were told that our Windows XP had alot of Windows Vista files on it. I don't know which ones they are or how they got there.
    We have 6 accounts on our home computer (I'm one of the 6) and my account is the only account that has the ability to use the Search function. On everyone else's account, when they open the search function, a window comes up that is half white and half blue with a dog in the lower left hand corner and nothing else.
    I have the ability to open the sound icon in control panel but it is all grayed out so that I can't change any of the settings and the sound icon button has disappeared from the taskbar. And instead of what is normally listed in the boxes (SoundMAX Digital Audio) it now says Modem #7 line. This occurred without anyone using the computer.
    Whenever I want sound on the computer, I have to go to Add/Remove and remove “Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem”. Then I go to Add Hardware and the Add Hardware Wizard comes on and lists all the new hardware (all sound) that I’m adding. It lists two things:
    “Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem” and “Modem Audio Device” Then the sound is back on the computer and in the control panel I can access the sound icon and make changes. Once I turn the computer off, the sound goes away until the next day when I have to do that process all over again.
    My husband says that his Windows Media Player 11.0 won’t open. He did an uninstall and then reinstalled it and it still won’t work.
    I keep getting this error message: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem. Then it asks if I want to send a report.
    Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
    MomCrossett

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  2. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Open the event viewer:

Click "Start".

Click "Run".

In Run type "eventvwr.msc" without the quotes and click OK.

In Event Viewer click on "System" and look for Errors or Warnings.

If you find an error, double click on the error, this will open properties.

Near the top of Properties look for the Event ID. Post the Event ID number. This will help in diagnosing the problem. Also while in Properties you will see under "Description" a somewhat explanation for the error and a blue link to Microsoft for more details.

3. momcrossett

momcrossett Private E-2

Kniht
    Here are the event ID's that I found for system errors:
    I have never seen the eveny viewer so it was kind of cool to look for these errors.
    Thanks for your help.
    Ruth Ann Crossett

4. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Go to "Start">>"Run".

In Run type "services.msc" without the quotes and click OK.

In services look for Windows Audio and see if it is started and set to automatic.

If it is not set to automatic and is not started, right click on Windows Audio and select "Properties".

In properties where you see "startup type" select "automatic", click "Apply".

Click on "Start" and then click OK.

5. momcrossett

momcrossett Private E-2

That was such an easy thing to fix. I did as you asked me to. Windows Audio was listed as Automatic but was in stopped mode. I started it and pressed apply. It worked like a charm. I was so tickled. I had to turn the computer off to do a reboot for something else and when I turned it back on I noticed there wasn't a volume icon on the taskbar. When I opened Control Panel to check on Sounds and Audio Devices the Apply button at the bottom of that box was grayed out so that I couldn't press it. I then went back to "services.msc" and checked on Windows Audio. It was still listed as automatic but was in the stopped mode again. Now I can't start it again because that Apply button is also grayed out so that it can't be pressed. I didn't want to write you back and tell you this, but I also knew this probably wouldn't throw you either. Any other instructions for the Audio?
    Thanks for you help!
    Ruth Ann Crossett

6. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Go back into Services and be sure "Plug and Play" and "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" are set to automatic and started.

If they are set to automatic and both are started, you can do a workaround to the Windows Audio not starting at boot by creating a batch file.

To do this, open notepad.

In notepad type:

NET START "Windows Audio"

Now give the file a name such as Start Windows Audio and give it the .bat extension.

Would look like this: Start Windows Audio.bat

Save the newly created .bat file in the Startup folder.

Navigate to: Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup,
    click save.

To see if the file is in Startup, click Start>>All Programs and go to "Startup".

You should see it reflected there.

Reboot and see if you have sound.

7. momcrossett

momcrossett Private E-2

“Plug and Play” was already started and set to Automatic. I did notice under the Service status that the Start, Stop, Pause and Resume buttons were all grayed out along with the Apply button so I couldn’t change the Service status or click Apply if I wanted to.
    “Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Properties” was already started and set to Automatic. I wouldn’t have been able to change the Startup type or Service status because they were all grayed out along with the Apply button.
    I followed your instructions exactly and rebooted the computer and when the desktop opened up a black notepad window opened entitled: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    I closed the window and checked in Control Panel under the Sound and Audio icon and I am able to make changes in the Sound and Audio area except the Apply button is still grayed out and it won’t let me put a volume control icon on the taskbar and I do have that option checked. I do have sound though.
    Thank you.
    Do I have to go into each account on my computer and make the changes that I'm making on my account? Or when I make the changes on my account does that also apply to the rest of the computer?
    I have a separate question. When I was going to open Notepad, I opened up the Windows folder and found 120 strange looking file folder names. I highlighted them and clicked Properties and found that there were about 4.55 GB in the 120 files. I am sending you one of the folder titles to see if you recognize it:
    $NtUninstallKB938828$
    Size: 1.55 MB
    Folders: spunist
    Files: explorer.exe
    Are these files okay to have on our computer?
    I keep getting this error message: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem. Then it asks if you want to send a report. I’ve already sent too many.
    Thank you again for your help.
    Ruth Ann Crossett

8. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

$NtUninstall files are Windows updates. Is your OS Windows Home or Pro?

9. momcrossett

momcrossett Private E-2

Windows XP Home Edition

10. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Go back to Services and click on the Windows Audio to open the properties. Click on the Log On tab. Under Logon as see if the radial button for Local System Account is checked. Do the same for Plug and Play.

11. momcrossett

momcrossett Private E-2

Neither one of the buttons under Local System account was checked. Do you want me to go ahead and do that?

12. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Go ahead and check the radial button Local System Account. See if this setting helps with your audio.

13. momcrossett

momcrossett Private E-2

I think that may have taken care of our audio problem. Thank you so much. I have the volume icon back on my taskbar and I can make adjustments to it in Control Panel.
    Is it possible to work on another problem we are experiencing? I don't want to be a Software forum hog. Just in case it is possible, I'm including another problem:
    We have 6 accounts on our home computer (I'm one of the 6) and my account is the only account that has the ability to use the Search function. On everyone else's account, when they open the search function, a window comes up that is half white and half blue with a dog in the lower left hand corner and nothing else.
    Ruth Ann Crossett

14. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

OK, now I think you can delete the batch file you created and placed in the startup folder. Try deleteing it and then reboot to see if your audio is working OK. If not you can always go into the recycle bin, right click on the batch file and select restore.

Do the other user accounts have admin privileges?

By the way, do you have a printer connected to your PC.

15. momcrossett

momcrossett Private E-2

I deleted the .dat file. Then rebooted and the volume icon didn't show up in the taskbar and when I opened Control Panel and then Sound and Audio, I couldn't make any changes because it was all grayed out.
    I then went to the Recycle Bin and restored the .bat file. Now I can make changes in the Control Panel and then Sound and Audio. I do have "put a volume icon in the taskbar" checked but it doesn't show up in the taskbar.
    Everytime I access my account and the different programs are in the process of starting, then I'm getting the familiar black notepad window entitled: C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe and written inside the box is:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Ruth Ann Crossett>NET START "Windows Audio"

In answer to your questions:
    Both my husband and I have administrative priviledges, but the other four accounts are limited. My husband's account is also without search as are the four limited accounts.

Yes, we have a printer attached to our computer, a Lexmark X1185

Thanks,
    Ruth Ann Crossett

Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  16. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

OK, first let's edit the batch file. Navigate to the startup folder, open, and right click on the batch file.

Select "Edit" in the menu that opens.

Under NET START "Windows Audio" type cls.

Will look like this:

NET START "Windows Audio"
    cls

Click on "File" and select "Save".

I should have included this before when we first made the batch file but I get those "Senior moments" every now and then. :)

By adding the cls to the batch file, the command window will close automatically at boot.

Are you still having "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem" and does this show up at boot?

If it does, go to this website:

http://search.lexmark.com/printer/US/en/17M0800.html

See if you have the latest drivers for your printer. If not, download the latest drivers:

1. Turn off the computer and the printer or the scanner.
    2. Disconnect the printer or the scanner from the computer.
    3. Restart the computer.
    4. Uninstall the old drivers and/or software
    5. Install the compatible drivers and software for the printer or the scanner, and then reconnect the printer or the scanner to the computer.

As far as your husband not being able to use the search function, try creating a new user profile for him with admin privileges and see if he can now use the search function. It's possible the profile has become corrupt. If he is now able to use the search function, transfer files from the corrupt profile to the new.

Instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

17. momcrossett

momcrossett Private E-2

I added the cls to the NET START "Windows Audio" black box and did as you said. The black box still opens up when I open my account and then goes away. Kind of irritating, but I can live with it.
    I turned my computer off this afternoon to reboot it and when it came back up, my sound icon was gone from the taskbar and I couldn't make any changes in Control Panel, Sounds and Audio because it was all grayed out. I did what I have been doing in the past, using Add/Remove and removing the "Conexant Modem" and then using Add Hardware to find new hardware. then the sound comes back on.
    I also did the latest drivers for our printer. I'm not sure yet if it has taken care of the error message of "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem". I'll let you know.
    My husband still can't use Windows Media Player and now Microsoft Word is saying it has an error in it when my son tries to open it on his account. I am very frustrated and not sure if I'm helping my computer (because of my lack of expertise) or hurting it.
    It would also be kind of hard to create a new user profile for the 5 people on my computer. I'm sure that is the correct way to do it...but it leaves so much room for me to make a mistake.
    Should I go ahead and take Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite off our computer?
    How would you feel about me saving what I needed to save off our computer and reinstalling Windows XP? It came already installed on the computer and we don't have a CD that has the program on it. My husband had heard that the files that you need to reinstall Windows XP is already on the computer and you just have to access them. Is this hard to do ?
    Ruth Ann Crossett

18. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

I don't use Zone Alarm but have read much on the net of folks having problems with the Suite interfereing with some programs and such. If you want to see if Zone Alarm is causing problems, disconnect from the internet, uninstall the Suite and then see if things work better before doing a system recovery.

From what I have read of your posts and if your system is clean of any malware, something seems to be interfereing with some of the functions on your system.

If a Dell is anything like an HP, which I have, there should be a recovery partion, usually D. This will take your PC back to the way it was when it came from the factory. If you want to do a recovery, you will have to back up any files, programs, etc., that you don't want to lose.

If you decide on the recovery you may want to read this:

http://support.dell.com/support/top...c=us&cs=19&docid=287034&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

Let me know how things go.

19. momcrossett

momcrossett Private E-2

Thanks for your help. It has been greatly appreciated. I will let you know what we decide and how it turns out.
    Ruth Ann Crossett

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds