searching (unsuccessfully) for simple file utility

Discussion in 'Software' started by Toripony, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Toripony

Toripony Private E-2

Objective:

Parse a "holding" folder of customized game files ("mods"); search the game's folder tree; find and replace each file every time it is found anywhere in the tree, regardless of date or any other parameter.

Desire:
    Dump any and all modded (modified) core game files into a single folder and automate the task of searching out and replacing all occurences of those files within the massive game folder tree regardless of date, location, or version.

Here's the situation: Our game is distributed by an online server that routinely (monthly) restores any missing or corrupt core game files on our pc's; this cannot be turned off. However, the server is constantly overwriting any core game files we have modded. Repeatedly putting them back one by one is a pain. Restoring a backup of the entire tree effectively prevents integration of desirable updates to other program files.

I'm sure this is simple and available... perhaps I can't find the key search terms..... have found plenty of file tree syncronizers or file text replacers.... tried out a few installers..... but no simple file replacer routine that will seek and replace based on the contents of one single "archive" folder.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Tori

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Got your functional requirements, what are your technical requirements? What operating system/version? Presumably, you have local access to both mod files, and the folder tree?

3. Toripony

Toripony Private E-2

Cool...Thanks! I've never done this before so bear with me......

Windows platform compatible (xp, vista, win7), both 32 and 64 bit. International language support is needed but not absolutely necessary. The mod folder will be created by the user before using this utility. By default, the game folder (Steam\Steamapps\Common\Railworks\Assets) will be located under Program Files (or Program Files (x86) on a 64 bit OS).

I hope to distribute this to other players who sometimes install the game in alternate locations so user input/dialog is preferable. A simple clean interface/utility will keep it friendly for the newb/casual user, but folder selectability will make it most useful for the game gurus.

A simple "installer" GUI would work well.....

Steps:
    Open utility
    Select Modds source folder (default could be ...\Railworks\Modds)
    Confirm/Locate ...\Railworks\Assets folder
    A warning dialog something like "This will overwrite original and add-on Railworks game Assets with modified files. To restore your original Assets you must run the Steam "Verify Game Cache" option, your Railworks installation disk, or reinstall the add-on package. Are you sure you want to continue?!"

Optional niceties: include a notification on the confirmation dialog of the number of modds found in the archive folder to be installed (e.g. "7 modds to be installed") and a final screen reporting how many files were replaced (e.g. "26 files modified").

Grandiose options: A list dialog to select modds to install/skip; a second confirmation dialog showing the locations of replaceable files discovered in the game folders before a final OK; a final saveable/printable report of the locations of all files replaced.

Is this what you need? What am I forgetting?? :confused

With much appreciation,
    Tori

4. Toripony

Toripony Private E-2

Just remembered.... for detecting the game installation location from registry.... the target file is Railworks.exe

P.S. A checkbox option to "Install files only if newer" could be quite useful, though by default I want to replace all files regardless of status.

I don't know the difficulty of making this utility possible, so don't be shy to tell me when I'm asking too much! Also, tell me if you expect compensation. I'm not looking for any credit for myself for this..... am just trying to help out some railroad simming friends.

Tori

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds