Secdrv Broken By Misrosoft

Discussion in 'Software' started by DukOfURL, Dec 21, 2015.

1. DukOfURL

DukOfURL Private E-2

I understand Microsoft's position: that old DRM rig was a security hole that had to be closed. But the consequences of it going away breaks many old CD based games that were legally owned. Civilization, Freelancer, Tiger Woods Golf, etc. I have been looking for a workaround so I can use my old games that I bought with hard money.

I know the culprit it secdrv.sys. But I don't know how it is integrated into the installation process. If I copy the whole CD to a flash drive and delete the secdrv.sys, can I then install the game? Does anyone know? This seems like a much too simple solution, so I bet the secdrv is attached in other ways to the game.

I am not trying to break the law - I own the software - I just want to be able to use it. Thanks

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. DukOfURL

DukOfURL Private E-2

That workaround doesn't work with Windows 10. I tried dual booting with an old copy of XP and it worked for a while, but then the OS stopped working because I could not activate it (no internet on the dual boot).

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Correct. There is no fix for Win 10. Apparently, you can only play those games on a computer running Windows prior to 10.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds