Second hard drive upgrade noob questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sabbath_dude, Nov 21, 2005.

1. sabbath_dude

sabbath_dude Private E-2

Ok so i've decided to add a second hdd to my pc. I've been researching what I need to do/get etc but before I actually commit myself and order the stuff I just wanted to check im doing everything correctly. I've only recently become interested in the inner workings of computers so i'm a bit of a noob :) .

I've got a Dell Dimension 2400 with an Intel 845GV chipset but im not 100% sure about what type of hdd I need to go for. I've decided to go for a 300gig Seagate Barracuda and I believe I need Ultra ATA/100 but there are so many different types of interface and drive type its kinda confusing. This is the link to the drive I was planning to order.

http://www.google.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Seagate_Barracuda_7200_8_hard_drive_300_GB_ATA_100

Is this the correct choice?

My second noobish question is regarding the primary IDE channel. I was upgrading my ram today and noticed my current hd is the only thing attached to this channel (the secondary IDE has two dvd drives attached). I know you can have two drives on the same channel but is it just a case of buying another IDE cable with three connectors on it and setting my new drive to slave?. Does it matter what order the drives are connected to the IDE? ie should the master be connected first on the IDE cable so its closest to the mobo?. Also I see you can get braided IDE cables as appossed to the standard flat ones, is there any advantage to these?.

Any comments or help are much appreciated!

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Only two drives can be connected to a IDE interface. You have a Master and Secondary on each. As for the drive, it depends on your bios, not the 845GV, which is your processor.

As for the braided cables, there is no real difference, but to make it "cleaner" inside of the case.

3. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

In answer to this queery...Does it matter what order the drives are connected to the IDE? Yes.. your 'Master' should be at the end of the ribbon and of course the 'Slave' will go onto the intermediary one..

4. sabbath_dude

sabbath_dude Private E-2

Thanks for the feedback!. I'm pretty sure I have the A02 bios and Windows XP sp2 installed. Is there any limit to the size of drive I can install with this set up?. Would my 300gb choice be compatible?

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

No. As long as it is a newer bios (which it is), same for XP, there is no limit.

6. Slurpee

Slurpee Private E-2

sounds like you have everything under controll. ata/100 is what you want. order it up and try installing. once you find errors, come back here.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds