Second monitor Dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Qwertyman66, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Qwertyman66

Qwertyman66 Private E-2

I have an Intel Celeron 2.8GHz PC with an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 Graphics card. I currently have two monitors hooked up to it so I am able to view more at one time. Recently my second monitor has started to just go blank on me. It can run for days on end with no problems and then it just dies. The little light on the power button doesn't light up and the only way I can get it back is to unplug it for a while and then plug it back in. It is on the same extension cable/surge protector as my main monitor which has no problems. When ever it shuts down it seems to be overly warm to the touch (warmer than normal) and the room is fairly warm. It is getting on for about 3-4 years old possibly even more. Could this be caused by some kind of overheating or is it just the monitor getting old? The monitor is a Sony CPD-L150. Any light you can shed on this would be a help as it is driving me nuts!

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

you might try it with a different computer to see if it's the monitor or not ... but it def sounds like the monitor is going bad, and if it's overheating it could cause a fire, may not be likely as you've been using it for awhile but I've heard of it happening, so just be careful

3. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

If its overheating a good dusting could fix if it,I found its best to get a damp towel"not dripping" and let it rest over the vents,this will catch dust but not let any more fall into the monitor,then wipe the rest of the damp dust away,if you feel more confident take the back off its only a few screws and blow all the dust away from the circuits of course unplug it first,a TV repair guy told me once that dust keeps him in business. :)

4. Qwertyman66

Qwertyman66 Private E-2

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try it on another computer for a bit and try and clean out all the dust. Hope it isn't the monitor dying though, cos then I'll have to replace it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds