Secure erase while keeping windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jeffcp, Apr 2, 2012.

1. jeffcp

jeffcp Private E-2

I have a HP laptop(HDX16)64bit Running Windows7. My question is I need to erase all the data on computer but still keep windows7 . Is that possible? Someone said if I start a new administrator account and then delete the old account I am on now and then have the computer delete all of the old accounts info. Then run eraser to erase all of the free space on the HD. Will this permanently delete all pictures,notes,etc? What will I have left when the process is done? Is any of the old data recoverable? Thanks

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

My thought is to set up the new Admin account, delete the old accounts but allow Windows to save the old user data in folders.

When this is done, use a secure file shredding program (like the one found in Advanced System Care Free Edition) to get rid of the old users' folders.

This will make the any recovery of the files all but impossible for an average person; however there's still a tiny chance an uber-hacker or Law Enforcement-level forensic recovery program could recover part of them. Unless you have data the C.I.A. or Interpol wants their hands on, you should be safe.

3. jeffcp

jeffcp Private E-2

Gman, Thanks so much for your ideas. I do want to erase all the data for privacy reasons and I do want to keep the PC. I have another question if I may. After I set up the new administrator account and I opt to put all the old files into folders How do I do that? Can I opt to put them into a couple of folders I name or do they all go into their own folders? When I erase those folders with say Heidi eraser what will be left on my PC. Sorry to be a pest . Thanks again

jeffcp

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds