Security Settings/Permissions on Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by dalym7, May 17, 2009.

1. dalym7

dalym7 Private E-2

Hi guys,

I’ve an issue with hard drives on my new lap top. As you might have guessed, everything was fine till I messed with it! But I would appreciate your help. Also, I’m not sure if this should go in the software or hardware, as I think its really editing setting on the OS as opposed to actual hardware.

So it’s a Simens laptop running Vista, it has two hard drives – SYSTEM and DATA. The OS is on system along with all the default Windows files like ‘Documents’ etc. DATA is 195 GB. See below – for a visual view of the drives.

[​IMG]

My problem arose because, as I share my lap top, I wanted to ensure that other users would not be able to access my files on DATA. So I messed with the ‘Security’ settings in ‘Properties’ for the DATA drive. And I’ve seem to have messed them up. I know this, because I reinstalled Windows, and the whole laptop back to its factory settings, and I still have the same issue.

The issue is this – even though I’ve reinstalled, and am now the only user on the laptop, if I go to DATA and attempt to create a new folder, it tells me I do not have permission to do so! So that’s the problem.

[​IMG]

Now, if go to the Security tab in Properties (for DATA) (the one I messed with), it looks like this:

[​IMG]

It should be, and as far as I recall it was, the same as for SYSTEM, i.e. it should look like this:

[​IMG]

As you can see there are three other groups/user names there.

So can I add them so it is the same as SYSTEM (I’m assuming that will resolve the problem)? It would appear not – when I click ‘Edit’, then the ‘Add’ button is greyed out. See below

[​IMG]

What can I do? SURELY this can’t be permanent – there must be a way of getting it back to normal! All help much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Martin

2. dalym7

dalym7 Private E-2

By the way, i don't know if its a new thing with the 'Thanks' - but i've always made every effort to thank everyone thats ever helpe me on here - you can see my post history to show this!

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Martin

Yeah its a new thing the Thanks Button and anyone thats helped you in the past will know that you are grateful for the assistance given.

As to your issue, try on DATA D drive to in the properties > security tab to click edit and change your permissions to Full Control, also add System and Administrator as in your account, similar to my settings for a blocked drive on my main PC.

[​IMG]

To add new users may need to enter Safe Mode.

4. dalym7

dalym7 Private E-2

Thanks for your help there Halo, - however I’m unable to change to full control there, as it’s greyed out. However I seem to have made progress by going into the advanced tab, and then changing the owner of the drive etc.

But I still feel things aren't right - I just want everything back the way they were now! Also, look at the red X I now have against the ‘administrator’ tab.

[​IMG]

I don't suppose you'd be able to post screen shots of what permissions all your users have - i.e. SYSTEM, DAVID etc?

Much obliged sir!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds