Security Warning popup

Discussion in 'Software' started by stevo4, May 25, 2006.

1. stevo4

stevo4 Private E-2

I had a Tech Support person access my computer via a Live Remote assistance software program to solve a problem i was having with their website.

The Tech support person went and reset all my settings to Default without asking me first, so i couldn't write down the settings i had been using first.

Most of the settings i believe were in the Tools/Internet settings section.

Now when i go to Ebay, Paypal, and a variety of other sites, this 'Security Alert' window pops up. I have to click yes about 7 times for it to finally go away and if i view the cert. and accept it. The Sec. Warning window shows up again the next time i re-visit the website.

The Tech support guy tried a number of things yesterday but still no luck.

Can any of you experts please advise what i need to do to either stop the notification or just automatically accept every cert?

[​IMG]

Thanks,

stevo

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Go into your browser and open tools ....internet options and click on security tab ... probably set to custom or higher ....reset to default ....
    report back:)

3. stevo4

stevo4 Private E-2

Thanks.

Tried that and tried changing the settings to Medium-Low from the Medium settings. But still no luck.

Next suggestion?

Thanks!.

stevo

4. TimW

What are the settings in trusted and restricted?

5. stevo4

stevo4 Private E-2

They have both been set to 'Low' via the Custom button and changing the settings. Still not change. If i go to the paypal site or Ebay and go to the login page, i get the same security window and have to click it a ton of times to make it go away.

Also, if i just click on the 'trusted' icon at the top of the page, it shows the slider at 'high' but if i move the slider down i get a window that says i can't use that level since i have chosen a level that is lower than 'high'. I can only get the lower level by choosing custom and then using the 'reset to custom settings' pull down and choosing medium, medium-low, or low.

thanks.

s

6. TimW

Try this:
    There are several Registry settings that can be changed to reduce the annoying nags and restrictions instituted with Windows XP SP2. The details of these settings have been collected from various sources on the Internet. (Microsoft does not seem to have documentation about most of these settings. In classic Microsoft fashion, they have provided some ability to adjust SP2 changes but have hidden that ability from their customers.)

A script has been written to make these settings easier to change. The script comes with an information file that explains the details. The script provides 6 options for adjusting SP2 settings:

1) Option to turn off the IE information bar prompt.
    2) Option to turn off the anti-virus monitoring and nag warnings about out-of-date AV definitions.
    3) Option to turn off the Windows firewall and firewall nag messages.
    4) Option to turn off the automatic update nags in the Taskbar.
    5) Option to turn off Security Center.
    6) Option to stop digital signature nags when downloading and running files.

Download nagfixer.zip (4 KB)

An alternative to the script is SurfSet, which has been updated to provide access to hidden settings in several browsers. Among other options, SurfSet can change the settings for 1) the IE information bar and 6) download nags.

This is from this page:
    http://www.jsware.net/jsware/iewacky.php3

7. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

8. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Have you tried System restore to a point prior to when the "Helpful" Tech played with your system, as it sounds like he/she "PLAYED" with more than what I would be happy with.

9. TimW

10. stevo4

stevo4 Private E-2

Compuable, et. al,

I tried the link you supplied, which i thought would have done it as there were 2 items which i removed, but alas, no luck.

I will next try the system restore and then finally the more aggressive Registry tips Tim suggested.

Thanks.

stevo

11. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

You didn't delete those 2 certificates did you?

12. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Compuable, et. al, I tried the link you supplied, which i thought would have done it as there were 2 items which i removed, but alas, no luck. I will next try the system restore and then finally the more aggressive Registry tips Tim suggested. Thanks. stevo <<

Oh, anytime Stevo... Sorry that suggestion did not work for you.

In the future whenever you contact any tech support and they 'suggest' or actually make any changes remotely to your system; I'd suggest that at some point during these types of calls; to always ask the tech support person to e-mail you - after the call is over - detailing any changes that were made.

Whenever I have a problem or question to ask any computer-related company (or any company’s support line that I’ve ever dealt with, for that matter), I always asked if they could send me a quick e-mail; after the call is over - briefly detailing any suggested changes that we discussed or made.

While these companies obviously generally do not do this automatically; if you ask them for the 'follow-up' e-mail; they will generally send you one, because most of these support personnel have to LOG the event anyway so it is a simple matter of copying the log to an e-mail to you.

It only takes a few seconds to ask for this follow-up e-mail and having it on-hand can save you a lot of trouble if something goes wrong down-the-line and you want to restore the system to its previous state. Just to make sure that they actually send me the follow up e-mail; I always ask them (politely of course) to include their supervisor’s name and e-mail address so I can thank them for their company’s great service. ;)

Good Luck!

13. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Reading these replies, it struck me that it would be a great idea to set a new restore point before you allow anyone, remote assistant or whatever, before they 'help' you.

Bazza

14. TimW

Here, here ....!!!! I'm very protective of my 'puters ....have locked out anyone from accessing, esp. daughter who seems to crash it whenever she sneaks in and uses it.:mad: :mad:

15. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

"10-4, "Right On!" and "Amen" to THAT, Bazza!
    I have System Restore pinned to my start menu....yes INDEED! :)

16. stevo4

stevo4 Private E-2

Ya know, as i was sitting there watching my computer start to connect to the tech guy, i was thinking to myself, this guy is gonna make changes to my system to get his website to work with my computer and i'm not gonna know what the settings were before he reset the defaults. I TOTALLY NEW BETTER, but kept my mouth shut hoping for the best and it wasn't until afterwards, that i ripped him a new one. Shame on me.

Anyways,

i tried two prior system restore points, one on 5/24 before the reset and one on 5/23. Sadly, when i open up Ebay and go to the sign in page, i still get the security alert window.

Question: Why wouldn't that particular setting be restored to the proper setting when using sys restore?

And yes, i did remove those 2 lines from the 'untrusted publishers'. Both were from Verisign. But since the sys. restore, they are back again.

Thanks,

stevo

17. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

18. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Hey stevo4, don't be to hard on yourself, we have all done something the same at times, well at least I know I have:)

19. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Reading these replies, it struck me that it would be a great idea to set a new restore point before you allow anyone, remote assistant or whatever, before they 'help' you. << Bazza

Bazza, I agree entirely. It forever amazes me how many people do not use [or even know anything about] system restore. There is one fellow I know in another forum that I attend who constantly rails against the ‘evils’ of system restore and continuously advocates disabling it.

I can’t tell you how many times the System Restore Utility has saved my system; especially since I’m always testing new software which occasionally mucks things up a bit after initially installing, uninstalling or reinstalling them. I really rely on having a restore point set both 'prior to' as well as after installs and uninstalls - just in case something goes wrong.

Additionally, I currently use a tiny freeware utility called System Restore Point Creator in order to quickly create System Restore Points whenever I choose - without having to hunt down the System Restore Utility in the Start > Programs > Accessory folder. It takes like 5 seconds to create and name a restore point using this utility! You can also use this utility for scheduling a system restore point creation every day, week, etc.

Good Luck!

20. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

That is why is use SlickRun :cool:

SlickRun www.bayden.com/dl/sr-upgrade.exe

I just type in REST <enter> and I am immediately in the M$ restore program.

To anyone interested, you set up the shortcuts in SlickRun, and as they are your own shortcuts (usually alphabetic) they are easy to remember than keyboard shortcuts or mousing. X gets me Excel, AOL to AOL, myd to mydocuments, expl to Windows Explorer, ZA is Zone Alarm, control goes straight to the Control Panel, etc.

Bazza

===

21. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Well said COMPUABLE as usual, I would just like to add one caveat to what you have said. That being that I find it helpful to disable System Restore from time to time just to clear the large System Restore file of old restore points, then reenable it again. I find that that free's up a fair amount of HD space that I can use if needed.

22. stevo4

stevo4 Private E-2

Well, even after trying the nagfix it still didn't work.

Next? (chicken necks?.... Ralph Wiggum quote)

stevo

23. TimW

24. stevo4

stevo4 Private E-2

I have Firefox but still like to use IE 6. and some of the websites work better with IE. Regardless, its one of those things that i know i'm to blame (in part) but want things to go back and work like the olden days. (ie. yesterday).

thanks

s

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds