Seeking a Network "Bible"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bgunn, Jan 17, 2005.

1. bgunn

bgunn Private First Class

:rolleyes:

HELP!!! I work at a small company (13 systems - peer-to-peer network setup). I slid into this position as I am the one (and only) person who knows the most about computers and the company's CPUs. I also installed the LAN and deal with all its problems as well as those connected to the DSL part of the system.

While I maintain this position and all the headaches it brings, I seem to be voiceless when it comes to telling those operating the various systems exactly what or how I want things to go. Such as do not download or install programs without my knowledge, if something goes wrong with your system (major or minor) let me know of the incident, keeping food, drink, dust and cigerette smoke away from the CPU, personalizing your CPU "do's and don'ts".... you get my point.

Does anyone know of a "good" Network Manager's book (store or online) that I can get in order to have something to back up my words and show these folks that they have it easy when compared to other companies?

Thanks in advance...
    Bgunn

2. Stygiis

Stygiis Private First Class

The best fix for this is to set up thier accounts on the machine as a user, keeping them from having the ability to install thier own programs. I know that can be hassel but users DO NOT listen to the IT staff when they are told not to do certain things with their computers. I know this first hand as I am in a similar position as you. You can preach all you want and show all of the evidence in the world to them and they will keep downloading their smileys, cursors, and games. Then they come to you complaining that is is running slow and want you to fix it. Trust me, just limit their ability to install and many of your headaches will go away.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds