Seeking a program that 'idols down' my computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by flywelder, Oct 10, 2010.

1. flywelder

flywelder Private E-2

I was not sure just how to word this request but idol down seemed to fit.
    here is more detail,
    I witnessed a friend's HP computer, turn off the cooling fans and stop the hard drive from spinning when no one is using the computer, ......... the second you moved the mouse or pressed any key, the fans started up and the hard drive began to spin.
    I said to my self that is what I would like my 'home made/assembled' computer to do, ...now to learn how?
    I need your help forum members.
    I am running Windows XP home edition.

Thanking you in advance.
    flywelder
    10-10-2010

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

I do not quite understand the word "idol" in this context (I am not a native English speaker); do you perhaps mean "idle"?

Check Windows' Energy Saving options on the Screen Saver panel (right-click on the desktop | Properties).

3. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

pwillener is on the right track, I'm thinking.

What you are describing sounds like what occurs when a computer is set to go to "sleep" rather then being shut off altogether. Sleep mode basically shuts your computer down except some components like RAM. When you press a key or move the mouse, it will "wake" up almost instantly. I know on my PC in sleep mode most of the cooling fans do slow down or stop.

There is also "Hibernate" mode, which saves anything you have currently running in a special file on the hard disk, then shuts the computer down. When you reboot from this state, it takes less time to boot then normal . . . but the sleep function sounds more like what you mean.

4. nuu_bee

nuu_bee Private E-2

Unless your motherboard is not home-made then its manufacturer web page is good place to start looking for such software.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to nuu_bee
    If, as I believe, the others are correct.
    If so, no special programs are required.

6. nuu_bee

nuu_bee Private E-2

Hard to believe that person who manage to assembly a PC himself never heard about hibernation or suspend mode. I think that he is looking for something else.

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

It's easier to assemble/build a computer than it is to learn the ins and outs of an operating system. Like I always say, no one is born with a keyboard in their hands.;) I agree with all the others.

8. flywelder

flywelder Private E-2

Oops, sorry guys, me and my slang, !!!! yes I meant idle or sleep.
    Yes I have my settings set to turn off the hard drives, after 5 minutes of inactivity. But, why do my cooling fans continue to run 24 / 7 ???????

9. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Flywelder, that may be a function of your BIOS and/or motherboard - some setups are configured only for on/off states.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds