Segate hard drive not recognized how to recover data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zillah, Feb 4, 2013.

1. zillah

zillah Private E-2

Dear Experts

My one year old laptop Asus after updating its ultimate windows 7 OS and restarting it , a blue death screen appeared,,,tried couple of restarting same error message.

Then tried : Safe Mode ,,,,,tried : last good configuration,,,,,,,,,,nothing work.

Removed the hard drive which is Segate 500 GB from Asus laptop and connected via USB cable to my desktop,,,the error message that was presented : You need to format the disk before using it.

Tried that on another laptop (Dell) same error message : You need to format the disk before using it.

External hard drive is not showing in the computer management means it is not recognized as an external storage therefore I won't be able to use any third party program to recover the files before formatting it

What should I do to recover the files and data from my Asus hard drive before formatting it ?

Regards

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Clearly, something happened to the drives file structure to render it unreadable.Before formatting the drive, try one of the file recovery utilities posted here on MG (there are several that are good) and see if anything is recoverable. If so, you can copy those files off to another drive.

3. reha

reha Private E-2

You should consult a data recovery expert. See don't delay take immediate step. Dont worry you will get back your data.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

What is worth looking at is Partition Wizard. If you install it (PARTITION WIZARD)on another pc/laptop, you can see if it shows on there- If it does then if the data part of the drive was seperate from the operating system you can try to copy that partition with the data on to another hard drive with partition magic-the other hard drive can be any size as partition wizard will still copy.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/MiniTool_Partition_Wizard_Home_Edition_d6175.html
    If you have al data in same partition, then you will have to try another way

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds