Selective FTP?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ST47, Feb 23, 2007.

1. ST47

ST47 Private First Class

I have Ubuntu 6.10 on an old box here and it's connected to the internet through a router. I have 2 files there - Icecast playlists - that I want to let other project admins change. The only things I saw - and I wasn't looking too hard - would open up the whole computer or a preset directory, but I only want these two files in /etc to be available. Is there any sort of FTP server - or even a web interface - that can do this?
    Thanks!

2. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

Instead of trying to block access to the other files, you could create another directory (like /etc/playlists or something) and symlink (symbolic link) the playlist files to a point in that folder. That way, you can still let them edit it using the symlink, but nothing else will show up and the actual files will not be moved. You can create a symlink of a file by using the following command:
    Code:
    cp -s /path/to/original_file /path/to/symlink
    You can also create a symlink to an entire directory by using:
    Code:
    ln -s /path/to/symlink /path/to/original
    (note that with ln the parameters are reversed - this has messed me up a couple times.)

Also, note that cp and ln are different in some distributions. I recommend that you read the manual page about these before you try to execute the command, as I just discovered that on my FreeBSD installation, cp cannot create symlinks at all, and the parameters on ln are reversed yet again - confusing.

Make sure your FTP server supports symlinks before trying this out. Most do from my experience.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds