Sending large files via broadband

Discussion in 'Software' started by m79vest36, Feb 19, 2007.

1. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

What's the best method for sending large files like .mov fm your camera clips to someone via ethernet connection using Windows XP pro. sp 2?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Across a LAN, or across the internet?

3. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Across theLAN....is suppose. I want to send the data to my friends computers. Some have dial up, some have broadband. I know at one time I used to send large data files to others via yahoo messenger but forgot how. Is there a simpler way?

4. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

LAN is only used to connect PCs in a house, a company, locally (Local Area Network). I don't think your friends are on a LAN with you ;).
    About how big are these files?

5. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

Oh, thanks......the .mov movie clip file is 7.0 mg. It's just one of several movie clips my wife & I took while we were on our canada trip last summer.

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

The easiest way would be just to email them. Most web-based email sites will allow attachments that large nowadays.

However, it might be faster for your friends to download the files from an FTP site. If you want to set one up, I'd recommend that you look at http://www.250free.com

7. m79vest36

m79vest36 Corporal

I've tried sending irfranview .mov files that only have 7.5 KB for 1 file. My road Runner service limits their incoming stuff to 250 MB which has great large file capacity but every time I send the pic file, there's a window that eventually pops up fm Road Runner saying the file has been exceeded so my file never has a chance to reach it's destination. Unless the receiving server is dial -up & can't get the file into them...what is your impression?

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Gmail accepts 10MB files as attachments so you might want to sign up there. It's the easiest except for if you are instant messaging together, then it's a couple of clicks away.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds