serial port monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by junebell_yt, Apr 25, 2006.

1. junebell_yt

junebell_yt Private E-2

Have an old non-linear editing system that uses a monitor with a 9-pin connecter, it calls it a data monitor. Pins 3,4,&5 are missing.
    The monitor has funked out and I am looking for a way to use a newer monitor on the system. Is there an adapter or a way to connect it to the old machine.

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Was this monochrome?

3. junebell_yt

junebell_yt Private E-2

Yeah, but it's white not the green color.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I guessed that based on the description of the three pins missing - they correspond to RGB - so without them you have monochrome. Some nfo

http://www.mycableshop.com/techarticles/9th15video.htm

15 Pin VGA (Standard): The standard for connecting monitors and video cards today is the 15-pin video cable and connector, also called "VGA" in reference to the standard that first used it. In fact, all modern cards that call themselves VGA or SVGA use the standard 15-pin connector on the video card. Most standard monitors use the same 15-pin connector as well.
    9 Pin (Older VGA, EGA, CGA): Older displays used a smaller, 9-pin connector on the monitor, meant to match with the 9-pin output of older video cards. Some of these were VGA, but others employed older standards such as CGA or EGA. There are 15-to-9-pin adapters available that will let a monitor with a 9-pin connector be used on a PC with a 15-pin video connector, but most of these monitors are older and not up to dealing with a modern video card in any event.

You can google a phrase like I linked there.. but there is a difference of opnion wheather these adapters work....

5. junebell_yt

junebell_yt Private E-2

Thanks for the link and help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds