Serial SATA External Hard Drive - need driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lgu@gsu, Oct 14, 2008.

1. lgu@gsu

lgu@gsu Private E-2

I got one of these external hard drives off Ebay, and my computer cannot detect or find a driver. The packaging says I do not need driver installation for Vista, so I'm lost. Any ideas for me? Is there a downloadable free driver from the MajorGeek site maybe?

I think the guts are Samsung, but not sure.
    2.5" SATA HARD DRIVE TO USB 2.0

Thanks.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If the drive is brand new, it hasn't been partitioned or formatted. The following steps are for Windows XP... Vista should be similar:
    1. Be sure the drive is connected to the PC.
    2. Right click My Computer and select Manage (Vista may require you to be logged in as an Administrator).
    3. Select Disk Management.
    . . 3a. You can skip step 2 and 3 by typing diskmgmt.msc in the Run/Search box; when you do this, you'll see diskmgmt.msc appear at the top of the start button box; right click it and select 'Run as administrator'.
    4. The Disk Management Console will open. In the lower right pane, scroll down until you see the drive listed; right click on the bold print where it says Disk 1 or whatever (it will say Unallocated in the description). DO NOT try to select Drive 0! That is drive C:
    5. When you right click on the bold print, select Initialize Disk.
    6. Follow the prompts.
    7. If the New Partition Wizard does not automatically open after Initializing, right click in the area that says 'Unallocated' and select 'New Partition'.
    Follow the prompts to format it as a primary partition. Using Quick Format is OK and recommended unless you have a lot of time on your hands.
    That should do it!
    If you have problems, let us know and we'll try to help!

[dlb]

(if you have additional hard drives besides drive C:, be careful to select the new drive in step 4; if it doesn't say 'unallocated' or it if it shows the drive as being formatted, then it is NOT the new drive and should NOT be selected. If you're confused, attach some screen shots of the Disk Management window and we can try to recommend a course of action)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

MORE INFO: click on this link for a Microsoft How-To guide for formatting drives using Disk Management; when the page opens, click the "> To create and format a hard disk" link. You can click this link for a How-To guide from Seagate; it's mainly a troubleshooting guide, but it explains how to partiton/format starting with step 4, and explained completely in step 7. If you're still confused, post a screen shot like I mentioned earlier, and we'll do our best!
    :-D

4. hancho_1

hancho_1 Private E-2

i got one of those hard drives enclosures too but my hd is already formatted. it came form my old laptop that shorted and is now useless. i wanted to salvage my hd and turn it into an external but my computer can't find the hd.

what should i do then? i wanna see if i can get the external to work without having to reformat my hd.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds