Serious Laptop Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by seifer699, Mar 5, 2010.

1. seifer699

seifer699 Private E-2

Hi, the past few days ive noticed my laptop has been restarting around every 30min id say? Tonight i turned it on, and i got the following [​IMG]
    then i get to my desktop and get a quick flash of a blue error then my system restarts again and the cycle continues, does anyone know what i should i do?

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Can you boot into safe mode, usually F8 key on startup but this varies? Tell us what model computer and this can be verified. Do you have an install/recover disk?:wave

3. seifer699

seifer699 Private E-2

Yes i was able to boot in safe mode. I did a system restore, and things seemed to go alright, but then the restarting happened again. Im using a Sony Vaio VGN-NR498D. Umm i dont think there was a recovery disk, there are recovery boot options though.

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Did you check your device manager for any yellow flags? Seems almost a hardware problem due to the problem being intermittent?
    I'd get any data backed right away?
    But no problems in safe mode or unsure?
    I believe F10 is what you use on startup to access the recovery partition. Should be given an option to repair/reinstall, but I haven't worked on any Sony's lately so not sure about repair.
    But eliminate hardware first. Does it seem hot?
    The access door for the ram is probably on the bottom of the laptop, it could pay to simply open it and remove/replace the RAM sticks, though I doubt that's it.
    Also, run chkdsk /f on the machine.:wave:wave

5. seifer699

seifer699 Private E-2

Yeah no yellow flags, i think its some sort of driver problem, which i cant seem to isolate. No problems in safe mode. Yeah there is a recovery option in f10. Im still debating whether i should start backup and do recovery, incase it does not fix and i find another solution. Nothing is hot, everything seems normal. How do i run chkdsk /f on windows 7? I tried defragging but it restarted in the middle of the operation.

6. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Open My computer, right click on C drive, select properties, then tools, check now, :wave:wavethen I believe you can schedule a scan for the next start up, but I don't have Win7 in front of me.

7. seifer699

seifer699 Private E-2

Ok i used it, no errors/problems. Still restarting :( what should i do?

8. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Okay, safe mode it works in, and system restore didn't fix it. You did restore to a point in time BEFORE the problem, right?

Open a command prompt like this;
    1. Click on Windows 7 Start Button

2. Go to All Programs-> Accessories

3. Now right on Command Prompt and select “Run as Administrator” from context menu.

Then type sfc /scannow
    Note the space before the /:wave

9. seifer699

seifer699 Private E-2

Ok i scanned, and it said i had one error and it would be removed on the next reboot, so i rebooted, now testing if the restart persists.

10. seifer699

seifer699 Private E-2

So my computer restarted about 1 hour after the scan. Ive noticed before it restarts there is about a 1 second pause (i noticed this because my music froze for about 1 second then my machine restarted), just wanted to add that little but of info in case. Anyone have any other ideas before i backup and restore?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds