Serious Mind Bender - Dell Dimension B110

Discussion in 'Software' started by Evan_212, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Evan_212

Evan_212 Private E-2

I am currently working on an elder lady's Dell Dimension B110 and am having troubles.

I re-installed XP for her on request and have installed all drivers from the dell drivers support area.

I freshly installed the audio/chipset drivers/network etc .. the required.

looking at everything and scanning the System to make sure everything was installed correctly I assumed this was a done deal and a sound machine.

Problem is I was using my Wireless USB connection to connect to my router. When she took it home she could not connect to the internet via LAN/Ethernet Cable.

I offered to take it home thinking it would be a quick fix but dells drivers for the B110 Network/Intel Drivers seem to "look" like its installed correctly but give me the "A cable is unplugged"

I checked the port when plugging in to see if it lights up and it does not.. I dont see how I could have broke it al all considering all i did was clean dust carefully and changed out the thermal compound between the cpu/heatsink.

Question is ... do you think this is a hardware problem or the drivers cause I am so confused.. she said she connected it no problem through wired connections before I formatted it. I am assuming that the drivers are actually for the Dimension 1100 .. because I dont see how I could have shorted the board ... and the listing for drivers says Dimension 1100/b110

Please help me if you can thanks. MiNdRaGeD here...

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Did you enter the Service Tag to get the drivers for the ethernet adapter?

I have seen Dells do odd things when you download drivers without using the Service Tag as a reference.

3. Evan_212

Evan_212 Private E-2

No I did not try the service tag ... I will look and see if I can find it.

Thanks for your reply.

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Evan_212...

If you get no satisfaction by using the Service Tag route, let us take a look at the machine: please download EVEREST, a free system information tool.

Transfer EVEREST to the problem machine and run the program. When the scan completes select 'Report', 'Quick Report', 'Plain Text'. Select 'File', 'Save As...', name the report, and save to an easily found location such as the Desktop.

Then transfer that file to an internet-connected computer and attach the file to your next post per these instructions: HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post.

5. Evan_212

Evan_212 Private E-2

Attached is the requested report from Everest.

I can see it recognizes my network "stuff" also BTW ignore a netgear n150 WNA1100 usb adapter (for internet access) I own this and am troubleshooting the Ethernet port on the mobo hoping to get it to work.

Hopefully I've idiotically missed something simple.

EDIT: I have also used the service tag and ended up with the same network drivers that did nothing.

Thanks for your help in advance! :cool

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  6. Evan_212

Evan_212 Private E-2

Bumping in hopes for some help.

I am just trying get the Ethernet port on this Dell Desktop working Everest file attached below on my last post.

7. the mekanic

Have you tried adding a card to the PCI bus?

This is an old PC, and even a "gentle cleaning" could have disturbed something which could have been on it's way out. The BIOS will be seven years old in a few weeks, and the PC is at least six.

The worrisome thing is that the port usually lights up, even if there's no driver yet. Here is the Everest data for the adapter. What bothers me is the "lease date". Open a DOS, or "Run" window from the start menu, and enter these two commands: ipconfig /release, and then ipconfig /renew

If that doesn't work, give snagging a generic driver a shot per the model adapter. It's worth a try, otherwise a PCI card might be in this PC's future and would be an upgrade. I usually have a few on hand from e-waste for just such an occasion.

Network Adapter Properties:
    Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    Interface Type Ethernet
    Hardware Address 00-16-76-10-88-4D
    Connection Name Local Area Connection 4
    Connection Speed 100 Mbps
    MTU 1500 bytes
    DHCP Lease Obtained 12/31/1969 4:00:01 PM
    DHCP Lease Expires 12/31/1969 4:00:01 PM
    Bytes Received 0
    Bytes Sent 0

Network Adapter Manufacturer:
    Company Name Intel Corporation
    Product Information http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/ethernet/linecard_ec.htm
    Driver Download http://support.intel.com/support/network

Rosewill PCI card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

8. Evan_212

Evan_212 Private E-2

Thanks alot you even snagged me a link from newegg to a cheap network card which I prolly will buy for her since she needs one now. I assume that I did fry the port somehow since it's not even lighting .. thanks for the help man.

9. Evan_212

Evan_212 Private E-2

Thanks this helps a bunch ...

I will assume a loss of roughly 15$US and just buy the linked newegg network card and pay shipping.

I do thank you for your time and effort here.

10. the mekanic

Hold on there, kiddo.

Did you try the DOS commands?

Don't forget to be honest, and explain that the damage could have been due to the level of filth in the PC or it's age. Offer to half the cost, maybe she'll go for it. Were the dust bunnies gargantuan?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds