Serious ping spikes and disconnects while gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gameaddictneedsfix, Aug 17, 2005.

1. gameaddictneedsfix

gameaddictneedsfix Private E-2

I did have this problem a little while ago but I fixed it and I forgot how I did.
    Earlier today I was clearing some old games out and accidentally removed a program (RTLsetup) and it got rid of my LAN connection, I restarted my computer and the connection came back, along with the problem.

Usually what happens is I am playing a game (counter strike or WoW) and for 5-10 mins I'm ok, but then my ping shoots up and i get terrible lag spikes or disconnects and it's VERY frustrating. If anyone knows how I can fix this please help!
    If I recall I did something with either the network connections, regedit or msconfig. -.-
    I am through a router

Router: Netgear RP114
    Ethernet card: Realtek RTL8139/810x

if you need anything else just let me know.
    Thank you.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

RTLsetup was probably the LAN drivers for your NIC. Removing them caused Windows to revert to generic drivers that just don't work as well.

Go here and download the latest driver. The top listed "Auto installatio program" should work.

3. gameaddictneedsfix

gameaddictneedsfix Private E-2

Yea I've already tried that, as well as disabling wireless zero config in msconfig.
    Still nothing :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds