Server 2003 Game Server?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by popzrox, Oct 4, 2006.

1. popzrox

popzrox Private E-2

I really need some help on this one.

I've been asked to build this network & game server.

The host computer is using Server 2003. The clients all have XP.

I can't seem to figure out what roles I need and how to set it up to have one installation of the games on the server in a way that the clients can access it and play without installing on the client machines.

Please Help

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

This may be pushing the limits of legality, but you could put an image of the game CDs on the server, and have the clients play using that. I don't think you'll be able to get around installing the software on every client, but at least you remove the need for CDs this way.

Post back if this is something that might work for you. We can advise you further.

3. popzrox

popzrox Private E-2

I've considered this. I've also been very hesitant due to legality.

I've been told that one of the roles available in Server 2003 (Terminal Server Role) has the ability to allow you to install once and play on the clients. I don't know how to set this up, and I'm not sure how to make it work.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Ohhh! I follow you now!

Yes, you can install the program once on the server, and have all clients connect to the machine using Remote Desktop Connection (RDC). This would mean that each user is essentially sitting at the server using its resources to play. This server better be kick@$$ to get any kind of good performance out of it this way.

This requires you to purchase terminal server user licenses though. Is that in the budget?

5. popzrox

popzrox Private E-2

Thanks a bunch.

I'm going to talk to my Supervisor to see if we can budget it in.

Thanks again.

6. popzrox

popzrox Private E-2

I was told that since our computers are workstations, we are not going to need to obtain user licenses. I'm guessing that means I can just istall it and go at it?

7. popzrox

popzrox Private E-2

I've been instructed that I probably don't have to make my server a terminal server to be able to log on to it via remote desktop. However, when I do so, I'm given this error message:

"To log on to this computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services right. By default, members of Remote desktop users group have this right. If you are not a member of remote desktop user group or another group that has this right or if the remote desktop users group does not have this right, you must be granted this right manually."

I have added the clients to the remote desktop users group, but I this is still the message I'm getting.

I'm so close I can taste it, but I can't seem to jump this last hurdle.

Please Help

8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Is this a workgroup or domain network? Why can't you just map to the server game?

9. popzrox

popzrox Private E-2

I did make it a domain controller during setup.

The new development is that I gave the server a Terminal Server role and changed some things around. I've successfully connected to remote desktop, due to the fact that I changed some policies around that I hadn't noticed before.

The new issue is that I've installed a game on the server and when I try to play it via remote desktop, it's telling me that it "Cannot create DirectSound device"

10. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Are you using RDP files to connect? If you click the 'Options' box at the Remote Desktop Connection dialog (ie when it is waiting for you to type the computer name), you get all sorts of settings that you can SAVE. (This makes automatically connecting possible, if you save the username and password). There's a setting that will allow you to bring sounds from the remote machine to the local desktop. Are you using this setting?

11. popzrox

popzrox Private E-2

Remote computer sound is set to "bring to this computer". I even went onto the server machine and told it to "Map Audio".

Any ideas?

12. popzrox

popzrox Private E-2

I set up just some random free game on the server, and I can't play that either.

I don't know what to do... it doesn't seem like I can play games over remote desktop....

13. popzrox

popzrox Private E-2

Just so you know what's happened with this other game... when I load it up, it has the first screen, then it says "Pre-caching" and the screen disappears, taking me back to the desktop with nothing running.

14. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Yes because directx doesn't run under terminal services, its not possible for you to do this with outo installing the games on the client machines, why are you against doing that?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds