Server DNS/DHCP Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marmot, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Marmot

Marmot Private E-2

This problem that i'm having seems to be a bit unique in the sense that after spending the better part of 2 days perusing Google and the likes, no one seems to have posted anything on this issue. So here it is:

Currently I am finishing the setup of a Domain Controller and 6 Workstations. The domain controller is the acting DNS server as well. This is all fine and good but here is where my brain begins to hurt, after turning on the server you can logon to the domain just fine, everything works you can access the public network folders and everything works. After approximately 20 minutes or so, you lose access and can't do anything associated with the server. Now mind you this is not 20 minutes after you log on, but 20 minutes after the server has been up, and this is on all 6 workstations. This problem has been around since setup, and we have done a complete reformat and reinstall and it still persists, which points the finger at either a hardware issue somewhere, or a configuration issue, I believe. I can't pinpoint it but I come here to see if anyone has any ideas.

The Server:
    Windows Server 2008 Small Business Standard 64 Bit
    Service Pack 2

Workstations:
    Windows XP Pro
    Service Pack 3

Any other information that is needed I will gladly post, as long as it is not confidential in nature. Thanks in advance.

2. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

Really odd question:

After that 20 Minutes, can you workstations still access the internet, but not your Server?
    And how is your Network configured?

Such as:

Inet ---> Server --> Hub/Switch ---> Workstations

??

Thanks

3. Marmot

Marmot Private E-2

We were configuring them inside the office without internet access to prevent the server from conflicting with the dns in our office. So no inet, but it was going server->switch->workstations.

So the only access it had to begin with was to the server and the public folders that were shared on that server. Thanks for your help so far :)

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Checked Event Viewer for any indications/faults?
    Is it an on-board NIC or separate card?
    Checked drivers? If card, have you tried a different one?
    Power mode options checked on NIC?
    (Left field ideas here.)

5. Marmot

Marmot Private E-2

There aren't any errors that would explain this in the event viewer, that was the first place I checked after going over the hardware. I've re-installed the drivers twice, with 64 bit compatible drivers and still no luck. The ports themselves aren't bad because i've tested both individually and they can carry traffic just fine. Didn't notice any power mode options on the nic, no.

6. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

Weird. Really odd question whats your lease time on your IP's for your DHCP?

Thanks.

7. Marmot

Marmot Private E-2

Don't believe we set a reserved time for it to expire, i'm looking over the server configuration now and can't seem to find anywhere that we set the restrictions up on that.

8. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

Just seems very weird that after approximately 15 minutes it loses connections to those shared drives.

Could it be a limitation of the shared drives for the amount of users that can be on concurrently, also how do you have your licenses setup on your server, per access or per client?

Thanks.

9. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Well, lets eliminate DHCP. Configure one machine with a STATIC IP address valid for your network. Does it still disconnect after 20 minutes? If no, then I would look more into DHCP configuration. If yes, I would then connect the workstation directly to the server with a crossover cable. Does it still disconnect after 20 minutes?

10. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hi Marmot,

Within the server's domain DNS settings, make sure that reverse lookup is created and the Pointer records are set.

right click on each workstation entry and select the options.

This may also be the problem >>> Windows Server 2008 Small Business Standard 64 Bit

Small business server has always been buggy even from its inception.

you may want to grab a copy of windows server 2003 or 2008 and test out from there.

Also, try 32 bit instead of 64.

nice one jconstan's >>> potential switch problem.

Techsent

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds