Server issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Geminiione, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Geminiione

Geminiione Private First Class

Here is an issue for all the network geeks. i will describe the issue and not post any steps i have taken to resolve it as i need a fresh set of eyes on the issue. i manage a system with 14 servers, of which 2 are the domain controlors, 1 is the mail server, 3 are VM's, etc. there is one server that is for use of only agency that has 6 users. it is there file server, datbase server only. all the logins are handled on the 2 domain controlers. it is windows server 2003 all updates and an antivirus program that is used on all systems on the campus.
    here is the the issue. at numerous tmes though out the day it goes "offline" it does not turn off or reboot. all that happens is the users lose touch with it for a varying amount of time and then reconnect to it.:confused
    all servers have a static ip and are on the proper subnet.

ideas??

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

What database services is it running? Do users actually lose connectivity? Or, do they lose response from the database application?

3. Geminiione

It just an access database. think of it a file server. and yes they lose connectivity to the server. it can happen at various times for various amounts of time. in other words it is not just a singal app or file that i can see causing it

4. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I assume you changed the server ethernet cable and a different port on the switch. Have you changed the nic card? Any errors in the event log? Have you tried to update the nic driver?

5. Geminiione

Yes it is a new cable, that is going into a brand new 1 gb switch. nothing in the event log that is at the same time as the disconnection. i am thinking of replacing the nic and the drivers have been updated

6. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I think replacing the nic is a good shot and not very expensive. Replace it with a different nic model so you get different drivers loaded.

7. Geminiione

I made arrangments for some new nics for Monday. will swap it out then and let you know

8. Geminiione

Okay, for all you interested parties. First thanx for the input, it help me clear my head. putting in the new nic seems to have helped, the users reported no disconnects or "freezing" for 2 days now. so now i be buying a 1 gb card to replace the slower 1 i put in for testing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds