Server, what hardware?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fleppen, Aug 4, 2004.

1. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

okay, the budget is about 1500 Euro.
    this thing will be doing the following:

- Webserver
    - IRC
    - FTP
    - Gameserver (think BF: Vietnam and the llike with 24 player max orso)

what would be the best setup for this thing?
    keep in mind it has to be one pc as we're not allowed to have more than one pc running as a server on the Business ADSL we've got.

2. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

addendum: HDD's are all accounted for so we don't need those, nor do we need floppy drives or cd-rom drivers or a monitor :)

3. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

okay we come up with this, comments are more than welcome :)

Chenbro 19 inch rack-server 1U
    Tyan s2462 Thunder K7
    2* Dual Athlon 2400 CPU
    Promise Fasttrack 100 Ultra ATA/100 RAID Card
    2* 512 MB Corsair 2100 512 MB 266 MHz
    1* 1024 MB Corsair 2100 512 MB 266 MHz
    2* 80 GB Hitachi Deskstar 7200 RPM disk-mirror
    1* 1 80 GB Hitachi Deskstar 7200 RPM "hot spare"

pricetag: €1000,-

4. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

I don't know a lot about servers and stuff but why do you need so much ram?

5. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

i think that setup would work great.

eric

6. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Well if all you are going to buy,one ONE PC ,,mighnt as well buy the best,,,even if it exceeds your euro by a bit,,,,please give this a peek,,,

PuRam™ - The future, today.

Introducing the first desktop computer configurable WITHOUT a system hard drive. The Operating system and system files reside on a PuRam™ solid state flash disk with near zero latency and seek times, and burst transfer rates up to 8.5GB/s I/O, capable of over 150,000 I/O requests per second, all with an average of 0.0% CPU utilization. This translates into an effective desktop business productivity of up to 100 times faster than the fastest available hard disk design at any price or configuration. These are non-volatile units just like a regular hard drive with a permanent storage cycle.

http://www.go-l.com/desktops/machl38/architecture/index.htm#puramanchor

7. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

heh, while I agree that is top of the line, we're doing this with a group and don't have the money to go out and buy that.
    Thanks anyway though :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds