service pack 1 for XP question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Archimides, May 10, 2003.

1. Archimides

Archimides Private E-2

I need some help please!
    I'm a person that plays around with my computer trying to find
    new things everyday.Tha problem is that I screw up my cp
    very often.Lots of formating and reinstallation of windows XP.
    I have one hard disk partitioned in two pieces. Everytime i
    format i have to redownload the service pack1 and all the other.
    How can I take the service pack from c: windows and copy it
    to the other half, so i can place it back when i format and install
    windows again,
    please give details! thanks!

2. Archimides

Archimides Private E-2

Ok. but wich file do i save?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You have 2 ways of doing this...

1. Ring MS and ask for a SP1 cd ( I got mine free apart from the postage which was next to nothing )

2. You should after installing SP1 have this folder

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 ( I know its on mine and I used WU to get the SP1 when it first came out )

Just copy this to your other partition as when you re-install XP the D: drive or whatever its called is left alone.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

OK, what you need to do is slipstream your XP with SP1 and burn it to a CD. The Elder Geek has a tutorial on how to.

HTH

augie :)

5. Thunder

Thunder Private E-2

I'm sorry but that is incorrect and that needs to be pointed out for the sake of the new people. Formating will not delete partitions, the only thing lost will be the files on the partition you format.
    As for SP1 you can download it.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/network.asp
    Save it on your second partition for easy access and burn it to cd for backup in case you ever need to format the second partition.

6. Archimides

Archimides Private E-2

Ok. so I take the i386 file and i copy it to the other partition.
    when i re-install windows,I just put the file back?
    no execution needed?

7. DavidGP

NO you will need to execute it using the setup.exe inside that folder to install the SP1 update into XP

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Or if you screw up regularly you may consider reformatting then making an IMAGE before you change anything, and then instead of re-installing XP, you can just re-image. Some programs also do the format for you as well as the imaging.

9. Archimides

Archimides Private E-2

wich one is the setup exe? there are about 12 exe. files

10. DavidGP

the only one thats named setup in the i386 folder

11. Archimides

Archimides Private E-2

Thanks guys!!

12. jilly

jilly Private E-2

service pack 1 for xp

Hello people,
    I have been recommended to visit you all by 'Scouse' to see if you can help me.
    I have a new laptop pre-installed with xp. I manually set up a dial up connection to the internet with no problems. Then I, very foolishly, downloaded SP1. Some errors started to occur and so I did a system restore. Since then I cannot set up dial up connection, the options are dimmed out. The MS knowledge base tells me that this is because I did a system restore after downloading SP1 and that I need to reload it or change some stuff in the registry. I do not want to mess with the registry and I cannot reload SP1 because I cannot connect to the internet. (catch 22?). I also have Pc running Windows 98SE on which I could download SP1 and try to save it to a CD but will that work?
    I do not wish to mess this Pc up 'cos then I won't be able to talk to folks to see if they can help me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds