Service Pack Will Not Load

Discussion in 'Software' started by alf3367, Aug 13, 2006.

1. alf3367

alf3367 Private First Class

hey everyone. i just re-installed windows on my pc. i have windows xp home ed. version 2002 service pack 1 on an amd duron 1.3 ghz machine. i have downloaded and totally updated my pc. but for some reason i cannot download service pack 2. i have tried it three times. it gives no reason and simply says "download unsucessful". can anyone help?

thanks-allen

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. alf3367

ok. half way through the "finishing installation" it says : "could not locate INF file. 'c:\windows\inf\wmp.inf.'

4. TimW

That is a file for windows media player ...strange that it is missing ....two things to do.....put your cd in the drive and close it if it auto starts ...then right click on start ...explore ...then go to tools ...file options and check show hidden system files ....navigate to the inf. files on the cd and copy them to the system files ....then see if the sp2 will load.

Or try start / run / and type "sfc /scannow" without qoutes ...it may replace/repair those missing files.

5. alf3367

any cd or my windows cd?

6. TimW

windows cd.

7. alf3367

well now i have bigger problems. im almost ready to give up. i restarted my pc and a screen came up saying "could not load because a file could be damaged or corrupt. windows\inf\biosinfo.inf" i'm using a friends pc right now. should i just reload windows again?

thanks

8. TimW

Using your xp home cd, boot up with it in the cd drive and at the first screen it will ask if you want to boot from cd ...hit enter ....it will load files then ask if you want to install or repair ...choose install (enter)...then f8 to the agreement ...then it will find the previous xp install and ask if you want to install new or repair ...hit "R" for repair ...let it run ...when done, you should have all your files and programs ...at which point (since you will also have all your viruses) go here :Read and run first - Malware section
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

9. alf3367

ok i'm back on. it takes forever to load the sign in screen, but oh well. i'm missing 3 files, according to my pc. "that c:\windows\inf\wmp.inf file, windows\inf\biosinfo.inf and the repair failed to load c:\windows\system32\catsru.dll" i'm going to go through those malware steps now too

thanks

10. TimW

Have had files fail to load ...I just eject the disc and do a clean and put back in and resume ...usually can get it all loaded.

11. alf3367

well those inf files are associated with windows media player right?

12. TimW

13. PCJinx

PCJinx Private First Class

14. PCJinx

PCJinx Private First Class

Let me rephrase...
    "Probably" isn't...
    Although there might be something more in your computer of concern. :D

15. alf3367

thanks pc jink. anyway, counter spy does not want to work. i have installed it twice. the loading screen pops up and thats it.

16. theefool

theefool Geekified

If you read the posts on this thread, you will realize that the OP did download the seperate sp2 install (network install).

17. theefool

theefool Geekified

Did you, alf3367, ever install the beta media player 11? If so, I'd re-install this app.

Or upgrade to windows media player 10. This should fix your issue, since wmp10 is not part of xp sp2.

18. alf3367

no on the beta. and yes i will re-install media pleyer 10.

thanks

19. alf3367

timw, can i attach my highjack list and my other logs now?

20. TimW

No ...not here ...start a thread in the malware section ...IF, you have done the read and run first ...if so, give a thorough explanation of the problem and what you have done as to the read and run ...wait for them to ask for the hijack log.

21. alf3367

ok thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds