Setting default email client in Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Oct 8, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

In Windows XP, you could go to Control Panel > Internet Properties and select your default email client if you didn't want to use OE or Outlook. Where is this in Vista? I looked in the same place in Vista's Internet Properties and it only has an option for a default HTML editor....

THANKS!

2. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks, that's helpful but it doesn't really address what I'm trying to do.... for example:
    I'm surfing Craigs List and I want to reply via email. This launches Vista's Windows EMail by default (in XP it would open Outlook Express by default). In Vista, how do I change this to open my Yahoo email account by default?

I did this in XP a couple of years ago, and I don't really remember how did it then, and now I'm trying to do it in Vista and just can't quite get it....

4. Doc13%

http://email.about.com/od/yahoomailtips/qt/et_default_mail.htm

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If you use Window's Live Mail, you can use Yahoo, if you get the Yahoo Mail Plus account.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:( Doh!
    That explains why I can't get Vista's built-in Windows Mail to work right with the Yahoo account. I've been fighting with pops and smtps and server numbers and SSL's and authentication... and now I learn that it won't work with the standard Yahoo mail :( Only the plus Yahoo mail.
    *S I G H*

Thanks for your help people.... we tried.

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yeah, I tried that when I first got Vista, dlb.:tas
    Hotmail works in the Windows Live Mail, though.

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hotmail works you say??? I can't get it to work! I set up a new email account at live.com and I used the info for OE for the POP and SMTP and the server numbers. This info was supplied by the Hotmail (aka Live Mail) help page. I have enabled SSL and SPA, and I get the error:
    Account "username", Server "pop3.live.com", Protocol: POP3, Server Response: "-ERR command not implemented", Port:995, Secure (SSL):Yes, Server Error:0x800CCC90, Error Number:0x800CCC18

9. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

not sure if this will help, but the Live settings for ports were wrong when supplied by Live/hotmail, had to get them from my ISP page.

10. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Aha. I see. I'm using 25 for SMTP and 995 for POP3. I guess I'll look elsewhere. In addition to being supplied by Live/Hotmail, they were also the default port numbers supplied by Vista's built-in Mail.... What if the owner of the PC has a different ISP than I'm using now? What if they take the laptop out of town (which is the whole point of having a laptop)?

11. Cat_w_9_lives

Didn't think about that, haven't taken mine out of my ISPs area, but think you have to use Webmail... that's why you fix PCs and I don't for a day job *grins*

12. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

OK- I found a 'work around' that does exactly what I set out to do in the first place which was to have the PC (by default and all the time) pop into a Yahoo mail account any time I try to do something via email on any web site; like when responding to a Craigs List ad, or when requesting tech support via email at Asus.com (for example). I had to uninstall the current Yahho toolbar. I then downloaded and installed the new toolbar (v7.2). At the very start of the install, there's a box you can check to make Yahoo your default mail client. As far as I can tell, this is the ONLY way to to do this. If I'm wrong, someone please enlighten me 'cuz this was a major league PITA. Once this is done and the Toolbar is installed, you can turn it off in IE > Tools if you don't like toolbars.
    :celebrate
    It wasn't easy to figure out and all the info I read online was basically wrong, but once I discovered the 'fix', it was simple. A co-worker stumbled across some info about the Yahoo toolbar while looking for something else, and that was where I started this journey was looking at the toolbar. So, problem solved.

Thanks to all for your very prompt and very helpful answers!!! :major Major Geeks ROCKS! :dood

13. Doc13%

wow who'd a thought it? :-D I have noted down the solution for future reference..thanks dlb

14. Cat_w_9_lives

You rock too dlb, glad you got it working.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds