Setting up a game server?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bliply, May 11, 2003.

1. Bliply

Bliply Private E-2

Hey Folks,
    I'm looking to set up an online game server on a seperate PC as a host and don't know the first thing about it. I just built a new PC and thought my old one could go to good use so me and my mates can link up and frag away without using sites like gamespy/zone etc... I have DSL and a 5 port hub to link the 2 together.
    Sorry, this maybe a silly question and it's probably very simple, but any help would be much appreciated...

Cheers...

New Rig...
    Gigabyte DDR333 mobo. XP2400. 512 MbDDR333. GeForce 4Ti. Gamesurround Fortissimo 2 Platinum. XP Pro.
    Old Rig...
    Duron 700. 440Mb. GeForce 2Ti. Win ME.

2. HASSELBLAD

HASSELBLAD Sgt. Smirnoff

What is your DSL up/down speed?

What game were you thinking of and how many people?

3. Bliply

Bliply Private E-2

I just checked it and got a 725 down and 135 up... the current game i want to host is Medal of Honor with no more than 6 people...

4. dalic

dalic Private E-2

than your server (if being the old rig) will do just fine, maybe adding a little more ram will improve greatly, but stick to 6 players though..

5. Beast_USA

Beast_USA Private E-2

First you will need a router.....your DSL company will have your mac address (hardware address of your network card) registered to the main computer you have online right now.
    And most likely they will not allow you have two computers online at the same time. With the router DSL company will register the Mac address of the router and assume it's one computer.

I would also say one more stick of ram. and wipe the disk clean after the transfer files. Install a fresh copy of Windows 2000 SP 3 it seems to do much better as a server then Windows XP.
    this my server
    ASUS A7N8X Deluxe AMD 2700+@2,574 13X198 v1.9
    Swiftech water cpu & gpu, ATI 9700 Pro, 1 gig XMS PC3200, 1 MAX 40g 133/ATA win2k sp3

I use a Linksys router actually two of them and hub.
    For a battlefield 1942 desert combat server. I would agree that six players would be your very maximum at your speed.
    my speed is 4100 to 4400 down and 274 to 320 up and I can barely maintained eight players.

Here is a detailed step-by-step page by page instructions on how to set up your router to use one of your systems as a game server.

Good luck:)
    Okay this is a along one
    First you want to right click on my network then click properties,
    Then right click a local area connection, then properties,
    Highlight Internet protocol (TCP/IP) then click the properties button.

It should say general
    You want to have used the following IP address checked
    The top IP address is whichever number you gave the computer (192.168.1.5)
    Subnet mask is pretty much always default, 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway will be IP address of your router 192.168.1.1 default Linksys

Then at the bottom use the following DNS server addresses
    Preferred DNS server 0.0.0.0 will be what ever your Internet service provider has gave you
    Alternate DNS server 0.0.0.0 when we get the router I'll explain where to find these numbers there should be three.

Then advanced button (towards the bottom)
    on the very bottom interface metric No. 1

Then DNS tab
    The DNS server addresses in order use:
    should be your preferred DNS and your alternate.
    Appended primary and connection specific DNS suffixes should be checked
    Appended parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix should be checked
    DNS suffix for this connection should be your ISP (mine oc.cox.net)
    Register this connections address in DNS should be checked
    Use this connections DNS suffix in DNS registration should be checked

Then WINS tap
    Enable LMhosts look up should be checked
    Enable netbios over TCP/IP should be checked

That should do it for the computer now onto the router

Remember to save (apply) on each page you change and if your computer that you use is sharing the same router you will have to set it up the same way to have access to the Internet.

Log onto the router should be 192.168.1. 1 password should be admin unless you have changed it.

First tab set up
    host name your ISP
    lan IP address 192.168.1.1 address of your router (needs to match the computer)
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0 whichever you choose (needs to match the computer)

WAN IP address
    obtained and IP address automatically should be checked.

Login depends on your ISP? Mine is set to disable

Okay Skip password tab goes to status tab
    host name your ISP
    LAN IP address subnet mask DHCP server should say disabled

WAN this is where you will find the IP address giving to you by your ISP, default gateway and
    DNS numbers.

DHCP tab
    DHCP server disabled should be checked

Skip to the advanced tab
    first tab filters go down towards the bottom
    SPI disabled
    block WAN requests disabled
    multicast pass-through enable
    IPSec pass-through enable
    PPTP pass-through enable
    remote upgrade disabled
    MTU enable mine is set to 2000 (one of the router tweaks) you may be able to set yours higher? Average high is 1500 (apply remember to hit that button every page)

Forwarding you will need to set this up for every computer using the same router
    service port range depending on what you set the port to in your game most common 14567
    the first box would say 14567 second box 14567 protocol UDP
    (there is a both choice but for some reason it doesn't seem to work)
    then the IP address of your computer
    next box same thing but under protocol set TCP
    you do not need to configure port triggering

Dynamic routing tab
    I use the router but I have my working mode set to gateway

Static routing
    you will need to set up a route entry for each computer
    destination LAN IP computer IP address
    subnet mask the same on all computers
    default gateway router IP address
    hop count I have mine set at 1
    interface WAN

DMZ host
    this is the IP address of this server hosting the game.

Should be all done hit apply start the game server and logon crossing your fingers couldn't hurt LOL

6. Bliply

Bliply Private E-2

Hey Beast_USA,
    I really appreciate the reply. Thanks for the time and effort you spent posting this. I will for sure give it a crack at the weekend. I'm off to dig up old Ram I have in a box somewhere...if only i remembered where i put it...

Cheers mate...

7. Beast_USA

Beast_USA Private E-2

8. Krusty

Krusty Private E-2

ACtually Xtreme Gaming Servers have pretty good deals on dedicated servers if you're curious

www.xgamingservers.com

one special... for 160 a month, you get an 18player pub, 14 player private, 10 person teamspeak/ventrilo server, and 200MB webspace,

i recommend this company, their servers are either in DC,chicago, or Dallas, but over very good connections.

9. Bliply

Bliply Private E-2

Thanks for the info Krusty,
    I'll check it out.

Cheers...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds