setting up an ad-hoc network / Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Flooz, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Flooz

Flooz Private First Class

I have just purchased a new desktop pc, that is pre-loaded with Windows Vista. I want to set up an ad hoc network to allow internet connection sharing, as well as file/folder sharing etc, which is what i used to have before my old pc 'died' on me.

Problem is this....

the laptop that will be the client computer is windows XP. Will this make any difference?

Also, although i've not connected a network adapter yet, i've been looking into how to set up a peer to peer network on vista already. Unfortunately, the option for 'setting up a computer to computer network' doesn't appear in the new connection box. Is this simply because i've not set up a network adapter yet? or do I need to enable something first.

Any assistance would be appreciated. :)

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Connecting with Vista isn't really a whole lot different. If you are just replacing an XP pc with a Vista one you will have to supply User Acount Control credentials (administrator passwords) but the dialog boxes lookmuch the same only more (or less) pretty depending upon your point of view.

Really you haven't given us a whole lot to go on. Post again with more detail. In particular how is your network to be connected WIFI /ethernet /other?
    How is the internet connected ? Where is the DHCP server located?

3. Flooz

Hi and thanks for responding Studiot. Will try and give more info, please bare with me, technology isn't my strong point,:D

I connect to the internet via ethernet and wired router.

I intend the ad-hoc network to be wireless. I have bought a D Link wireless G USB adapter for the new pc, and I have a netgear card in the laptop which i want to connect wirelessly to the new pc.

Erm, DHCP? please can you tell me what this is and how I find out about it?:eek:

Thanks again. :)

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Flooz, what does "ad-hoc network" mean to you? I have the impression the term does not apply here, as I understand "Ad_hoc". You simply want to network your two computers for file and/or printer sharing. Right? And, since you have a router, you have a good, if not the best, tool for doing that.

Does the new PC show a network adapter in Device Manager?

How about getting up your new PC set up on your network via a cable from the LAN/Ethernet port to the router first, then switch to wireless once you get an Internet connection working for the new computer?

5. Flooz

Thanks usafveteran, maybe i'm not using the correct terminology, although i understand some pc talk, i'm not totally pc literate.

My new pc already has an internet connection - via wired router.

What I want is to have a computer to computer wireless network, which will (hopefully) enable file and printer sharing, but also internet connection sharing.

I know i can use the router for networking (well i think anyway), but that means having my laptop wired to it, and as i move round the house with my laptop, i though a wireless ad-hoc network would be best.

I did have a wireless network previously, but at that time i had two xp pc's, and access to the internet via broadband modem.

Hope this all makes sense.

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Are you saying you used to have broadband access but do not now have it? What type of Internet access do you now have? Cable, DSL, or dialup? Cable and DSL are broadband.

Is your router connected to a modem?

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I don't understand. If you are simply replacing a dead XP pc with a live Vista one why don't you just plug it in?

Why does the new PC need a wireless link? What do you want to achieve with this?

I understand the benefits of having a fixed (desktop) and rover (laptop) pc. did you not have this before your old XP computer died?

Who created your original network? did you use the XP network floppy/USB ?this facility is not available in Vista.

8. Flooz

ok. Since having a home network successfully set up - i've also moved home, and now live in a business premises. My ISP won't allow a modem design for home BB connection on a business line. So, i have a wired router, a speedtouch 520v6 ethernet based. So, i've not had a home network set up here, as my old pc didn't have an ethernet socket, and as it was on it's last legs, wasn't worth my purchasing one. Hence the new pc.

All i want to be able to set up is a similar situation to what i used to have. i.e. one pc directly connected to the internet (the new one with W Vista) and then have the ability for my laptop (and possibly one other desktop) access the internet via a host pc.

My internet connection is seen by my PC as a 'local area network' as opposed to a BB connection - i'm not sure if that's relevant or not.

Apologies if i've not explained this properly.

9. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

You must have a modem. Without it, you won't have Internet access, whether at business or at home. Did you purchase the modem you have from a third party (i.e. not your ISP) retailer or did your ISP provide it? And, your router is connected to a modem, right?

What type of Internet service do you have at the subject location? Cable, DSL, or dialup?

10. Flooz

The router was provided by my ISP, would i be right in believing it's a router/modem in one? it's the only piece of physical hardware that is attached to my pc.

I don't know the difference between cable and DSL, :eek: I do know it's not a dial up connection I have though.

Looking at the website for the router manufactuer, this is how it is described...

"The Thomson ST 510(v6) is a single port ADSL2+ modem and router. An ideal Ethernet based replacement for the Speedtouch USB/330 modem for users wanting higher bandwidth support over 8Mbit/s. "

Does that help?

Wish i was more technically advised.......:(

11. Flooz

have done a little research into cable & dsl, and as my internet connection is through my phone line, with a filter attached, believe it must be a DSL connection.

12. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Yes, you have DSL. And, yes, you have a combination router/modem. Since I use a separate router connected to my DSL modem and have not worked with a combo router/modem, I'm not sure I can assist you further on this.

Let's see whether studiot comes back or others chime in on this. By the way, I suggest you grab this and save it: SpeedTouch™510 User’s Guide

13. Flooz

thanks for that usafveteran. i'll have a browse through tomorrow.

14. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

OK so forgetting your old installation, which was set up for you by someone else, and moving on. Let me recap . Please correct anyhting I've got wrong.

You have a new Vista desktop which is correctly connected to your broadband via the single ethernet connection from your speedtouch modem/router. this works satisfatorily.

You have an XP laptop that you wish to connect as a rover, using wireless.
    Does this laptop have an internal wireless (wifi) receiving capability?

Because your Speedtouch has only one ethernet socket you can't network directly but need additional hardware using wiring.
    The Speedtouch also does not have wireless transmission capability.
    It does however have the internal capacity to manage a network and distribute internet. (Forget the 'shared internet' that is something different from the past.)

Making the internet work over wireless for your laptop and connecting the two pcs into a network are different issues and can be treated separately.

To make your wireless connection you need an access point. Tell us about your Dlink.

To make the network function you will have to setup sharing and workgroups on both computers, but there is no point until you have the wireless connection sorted.

15. Flooz

Thanks for taking time with me Studiot.

OK, laptop doesn't have wifi (as far as i'm aware). (it's actually a notepad, Ergo Ensis if that helps).

My speedtouch does actually have 4 ethernet ports, but i want to be able to move around the building with the laptop, and still have an internet connection, which is why i though 'internet connection sharing' would be the solution.

I've bought a D-Link DWL G122 wireless G USB adapter - it says on the box 'wireless access for notebooks or desktop pcs' 'high speed usb 2.0 interfafe' 802.11b/g compatible'.

am i'm helping?

16. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

One step at a time we'll get there.

Four sockets, that's interesting the manual only seems to mention 1 but four's better if you ever get a network enabled printer or scanner.

I haven't time to look at the Dlink specs tonight but you will also need a transmitter because , yes wireless is good.

There was a method of distributing internet from one (central) computer, called ICS - This was used before routers were common and is not what you need. Nowadays the router does all the work of distributing (or sharing if you like) the available internet bandwidth.

To get wireless you will need a transmitter, called an access point, plugged in to one of your router ethernet sockets. The router will automatically distribute internet to it.

The Dlink 122 will be suitable to plug into your laptop to receive the signal, however many Ensis models have an internal wireless receiver. Which model do you have? Does it have a sticker marked Centrino?

17. Flooz

Ah, i think this is beginning to make more sense to me.

No, there's no centrino sticker on the laptop. I already have a netgear card in it though to receive the signal (hope i've interpretted that right).

I bought the D link as i was under the impression that if that was dconnected to my desktop, my desktop acts as a sort of access point.

So, am i right in thinking what i need is a piece of hardware connected to the modem/router that will transmit/receive a wireless signal from the laptop?

If i'm right..... can i take my blonde wig off now ;)

18. Flooz

Oh and the laptop appears to be Ergo Ensis L4000L - well that's what it's got on the bottom. :)

19. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

20. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Don't buy anything else until we have worked through this.

Is this your Dlink?

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=DWL-G122

If so the note about wireless access points may have confused you . This is not a transmitter (access point) it is designed to receive wireless networking.

With regard to your router,

This is consistent with page 80 of the user manual showing a picture of the back of this router. It has one single ethernet socket.

So please confirm that you have, in fact, got this router, not some other 4 port beast.

When when we have sorted this out we can advise on a transmitter. Cat5e is right in that it may be cheaper to buy a new wireless router than to buy an add on transmitter.

Where are you in the world so a local Geek can advise sourcing?

21. Flooz

Hi Stud (see, i'm getting to know you and becoming familiar ;))

Firstly - yep, that's the D Link i've got - it's what the shop I bought the pc from recommended.... rolleyes

Secondly, sincere apologies, i got it wrong, i've got a Thomson ST 546v6, 4-port Ethernet ADSL2+ Router

I'm in the uk. I've been thinking about getting a wireless router, but as i have been familiar with an ad hoc network, thought i'd stick to that. If i get a wireless router, i'll need the D link plugged into my desktop won't I? or have i wasted my money :(

22. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Don't worry about the ad hoc bit - that will come later.

Many UK ISP providers will supply a wireless modem router for little or no extra cost. Try them first.

If you are going to buy expect to spend £50 to £100. Both plug in access points and full blown wireless modem/routers start in this range. Dlink are not the most reliable on the block but if you like them look at these.

http://computing.kelkoo.co.uk/drilldown~100238623/D-Link,Epound_30_-_Epound_50

You should keep the Vista pc connected by the ethernet cable. Ethernet is much faster and more reliable than wireless. Also it is more secure. The router will do the job of connecting between the wired and wireless parts of your network, without you having to worry how they are connected.

I'll look these up tomorrow.

23. Flooz

24. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Perhaps your ISP is trying to tell you something? This Netgear will certainly do all you require and more. the price quoted is also good. Netgears are not the cheapest, or prettiest on the block.

As you may have noticed from other threads I recommend Netgear. I have replaced many a Speedtouch and Dlink with Netgear.

They are easy to setup. You do not need to run a CD. All you require is your internet username and password.

I can't find much detail about your laptop, as it is an older model. It would not have had a Netgear internal wireless, so tell us about the one you have. As it's older it may only be wireless 'B' so you may yet find plugging the dlink in worthwhile.

25. Flooz

I thought my ISP was just trying to get me to spend more money with them, lol

from reading through everything, it looks like i'm gonna ask Santa to bring me a wireless router for Xmas. :D for the moment, i can get another ethernet cable and plug that in the existing router. That will at least (i think, tell me if i'm wrong) allow me to transfer some of the files and stuff onto the new pc.

Thanks for all your help Stud. ;)

26. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Yes use a cable for now. It will also be easier to set up the local network between your pc and laptop this way.

FYI any documentation will refer to your network as a LAN and the broadband connection to your ISP as a WAN.

On the laptop

start>connectto>showall
    Right click the Local area connection (LAN) choose properties
    Check that both
    client for microsoft networks
    and
    file and printer sharing
    are listed.

run the highlighter down to TCP/IP
    Choose properties
    make sure that both the
    Obtain an IP address automatically
    and
    obtain a dns server automatically
    radio button are selected and the rest is greyed out.

Close all windows
    Open internet explorer>tools>internet options
    Choose the connections tab
    make sure the never dial a connection button is selected
    click on the LAN settings
    make sure none
    of the boxes are ticked.
    close all windows.

Your laptop is ready for network use.

Hold the Windows key down and hit the pause/break key

Choose the computer name tab
    click change.
    Note the workgroup name and computer name
    Supply new ones if you like

Close boxes.

On the vista pc do the same and set a suitable name for the pc, and the same workgroup as the laptop.

Your network is now ready to share files and printers.

As you have seen files sharing before I will leave you to share what you will, but note that Vista does not show the hand symbol on shares like XP.

27. Flooz

Thanks for all your time and patience. I've just ordered an additional ethernet cable, so all being well, should be able to set up my laptop in a few days.

Once Santa has provided a wireless router for me, if i've any problems, i'll post again.

Thank you. Your a honeybun. :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds