setting up bios' drivers before windows 7 upload

Discussion in 'Software' started by thatdude789, Oct 12, 2012.

1. thatdude789

thatdude789 Private E-2

I just got a p8z77 mobo with a 128 gb ssd 8 gb 1333 ram and a g550 celeron for now what sort of bios and drivers do I need to download and how should I put the settings in ez bios before installing windows 7. This is my first build.

2. thatdude789

thatdude789 Private E-2

I already flashed the mobo to match my g550. whats next. Thank you

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

I am not that meticulous in putting a new machine together so perhaps you can get better advice in the Hardware forum.

You have updated the BIOS to the newest version. For me the only thing I would check is that the SATA Configuration is in ACHI mode and not in IDE. (I just did a build a few months ago and for some reason my SATA Configuration defaulted to IDE mode for my SSD rather than ACHI. It can be corrected but you have to make a change in Win7 before changing the BIOS if Win7 is already installed. So best to check it before install even though my case was probably a fluke.)

It looks like you have to go to advanced BIOS which should be F7 on the EZ-Mode Screen. Then the Advanced tab. Then SATA Configuration, then check that SATA mode is ACHI. If it is you can just exit.

As far as drivers, Win7 should find just about everything except possibly video. I would go ahead and install Win7 then you go to Device Manager and see what is missing.

I'm sure the guys in Hardware can give you advice about how to tweak Windows for an SSD drive. In terms of making sure you download to a regular HD rather than the SSD, maybe moving the page file etc. Like I said I am not that meticulous about all the tweaks but do try to avoid downloading/storing any data files on my SSD whenever possible.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds