Setting Windows Update Preferences

Discussion in 'Software' started by mickeblue, Sep 4, 2011.

1. mickeblue

mickeblue Private E-2

I've just purchased a new HP G62 Pavilion Notebook which came preloaded with Win7 Home Premium and a whole load of unwanted, and insidious, programs which I've got rid of. Inevitably since first boot it has gone through a constant cycle of updating itself ( I'm convinced that it's having an affair with the MS server ) but it was the same when I bought my desktop and experience taught me that eases off after a few days.

What is really beginning to get my goat is that it keeps offering me huge file updates for Office, which I've already uninstalled ( why would anyone want to pay major bucks for MS Office when Open Office is available out there? ). I've already expressed my disgust directly to Seattle but I imagine I'll get my bus pass before I get a response from the good folks there. Anyone know how I can get inside and set up preferences for downloads?

2. dave.m

dave.m Private First Class

Go to Start -> All Programs -> Windows Downloads.
    Click Change Settings in the left hand menu list.
    In 'Important Updates' use the dropdown menu to select:
    'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them'
    Tick the box for Recommended updates. Then click OK.
    Then:
    When it offers you downloads in the list, right click the ones that you do not want and select 'Hide'.

You can restore hidden updates anytime you wish by clicking 'Restore hidden Updates'.

3. mickeblue

mickeblue Private E-2

Hello Dave.M. I was at that stage, but I was wondering if I could actually set it up so that it wouldn't offer me Office or IE updates in the future. ( If I wanted a bloated beast I'd buy a pig and a bag of acorns! )

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds