Settings and programs not showing on menu

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mouse Trap, May 10, 2006.

1. Mouse Trap

Mouse Trap Private E-2

I had to do a repair / restore on my XP Pro.

After loging in I found the "All Programs" menu empty of my installed programs. they were still in the program folder on the C drive.

The same applied to my doc's, I have found them and restored them to the correct folder by "property /target etc"

The booksmarks for Firefox are missing. In the "documents and settings folder but not showing in Firefox?

My eMails and contacts do not show up in Thunderbird?

How can I restore this pls? :confused:

Cheers

Mouse Trap

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Alrighty! In the process of your restore did you happen to create a new user profile, or are you logging in with a different profile?

All the things you are after are located in the directory:

c:\documents and settings\username

where username is the name of the profile whos settings you are after. The desktop folder has that users desktop icons, the start menu folder contains the start menu shortcuts

Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ should contain your firefox profile (and bookmarks.htm)

3. Mouse Trap

Mouse Trap Private E-2

Wow fast action thanks!
    Yes i did create a new profile same name as before. As the name did not show up on the current users "Seemed like the correct thing at the time!

The reason for the reload/repair being I could not log on as user or admin refused passwords and locked me out "scan showed a key logger"???

I found the items ? Programs and icons etc
    Now to link them to the menu??

Thanks for the help so far

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

It should be only necessary to copy files from the old profiles documents and settings directory to the equivalent folders under the new profile's documents and settings directory.

Ie copy everything under c:\documents and settings\olduser to c:\documents and settings\newuser

Also, if a scan found a keylogger, then you should DEFINITELY visit the malware removal thread, and follow all the steps there. Who knows what else you may have on that machine, and we wouldn't want to go through all this again, now would we? :)

5. Mouse Trap

Mouse Trap Private E-2

Thank-You for your time.

System is clean now: I had been bombarded with eMails re my bank account so did not know what was real and which was a hoax one may have sliped thru when opened!!!!!

I run Spybot Spyblaster Ad-Aware se plus, Zone alarm, and AVG what we have to do too keep the machine running Wow.

I will do as you suggest. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds