Settings that are driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Denise_M, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi,

If you could tell me how to get rid of those :*** balloons, I'll be forever in your debt. I get the tips balloons and whenever my mouse point to a folder of file, it gives me the information about it and it drives me crazy. I've disabled balloons but I still get them. It's like someone standing in front of the tv when you're trying to watch something.

There's one other setting that needs to be changed but I've tried a number of combinations and can't come up with the right one. I get the top bar that says
    I get this notice whenever I want to create a new folder in my Yahoo email and when I want to do some other common tasks, and the option to "always allow" isn't available, only "temporarily allow." I've gone into Internet Options and have checked all boxes to allow scripted windows except for ones that don't have a certificate. I recently reset the settings to default to see if it would help but it hasn't.

These things started happening about 6 months ago or more while I was still using IE6 and now that I use IE7, they continue to occur.

Can anyone help?

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

See if this works, I have never seen a balloon but this should stop it hopefully.

1. Goto Control Panel
    2. Click Folder Options (in the classic view)
    3. Click the View tab
    4. Unselect the Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items option
    5. Click OK

3. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi Cat,

Thanks for responding. I've had this box unchecked but I still get the balloons.

I also went to Kelly's Corner where there's a link to stop balloons. I clicked on it and it said "balloons stopped," but they didn't . . . I still get them.

Thanks again :)

4. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

5. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Thanks shanemail . . . it looks wonderful and I'll try it in the morning when I'm awake. It's after 1 am here and my mind is mush. In my book, registry might not be a 4-letter word but it might as well be, right after BIOS and CMOS. *shiver*

6. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

He has the actual .reg file located at the bottom of the page

so its up to you if you want to do it manually or not

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Download TweakUi from http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui

TweakUi is one part of the MS Powertoys program, but the above link will zero in on TweakUi.

It will get rid of those !@#$% balloons.:D

Click on Taskbar and Start menu, then uncheck Enable Balloon tips, and they will be gone.:major

Occasionally other programs may turn them back on again, :p , just uncheck it again. Bazza

8. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

10. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I don't know why the link wouldn't work when I copied it from the post but this is the address that I copied from the address bar

http://www.personal-computer-tutor.com/abc4/v33/vic33.htm

I also went to TweakUi at

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui

and downloaded and installed Download TweakUI 2.10.0.0 for Windows XP. When I right clicked on my task bar and clicked Properties, the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window opened but there's no check box to disable balloon tips, or did I go to the wrong Taskbar and Start Menu?

11. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

He means in the TweakUI program

If you go
    Start
    Programs
    Powertoys for windows XP
    TweakUI

then
    Select 'taskbar and start menu'

BTW: Its a much better idea than mine,
    Even if he is a Queenslander ;)

12. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Thanks shanemail,

My computer must be another thing that's screwy because the Enable Balloon Tips box isn't checked. Warn when low on disk space was checked and I unchecked it, but the balloon tips are still there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds