Settings to chk for unexplained internet loss?

Discussion in 'Software' started by amym, Dec 4, 2012.

1. amym

amym Private E-2

Hi. Any help would be so appreciated.:)

All of a sudden I have no internet connection. I'm on a newish (6mos) desktop, hardwired to the router. If I plug the cable into my laptop it works fine, so it's something with the desktop. I haven't installed or added anything new, but maybe automatic updates changed something?

Are there any basic settings I could check? I would love not to have to do a system restore - I have all my holiday shopping/planning done in the 100+ tabs I have open!

Thanks! Amy

2. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hi amym.

It would help if you gave a little more info. about your system, specifically, what OS or version of Windows.

For Windows XP:

• Open Control Panel
    • Open Network Connections
    • look at the internet connection that should be "on" and see if it shows connected
    • if it does not, right click that item and select Enable
    • if it is connected, right click and select Repair
    • right click and select Status and tell us what that shows

3. amym

amym Private E-2

Thanks so much for your time mjnc! I have Windows 7 Home Premium. That's part of the problem, I had XP up until about 6 mos. ago & I haven't had any time to learn anything about Windows 7. I don't know where anything is now & haven't had any time to familiarize myself with Windows 7. I had to buy a new computer because I couldn't find any way to update my old one with XP any more. It was time though, computer was 8 yrs. old. But I do wish I still had XP.

Again, thanks so much for your time! Amy

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, amym...

You will eventually enjoy Windows 7, I believe - it's one of Microsoft's better offerings IMO. XP was very good, but 7 is just as good or better. Now, If I could just get used to Windows 8...:confused

The procedure posted by mjnc should be similar with Win7, except that 'Network Connections' is now 'Network and Sharing Center'. Check mjnc's steps and let us know the results.

5. amym

amym Private E-2

Hi Caliban - thanks for your reply! I hope to get the time to know my way around Windows 7....good to hear that I'll like it eventually;)

Keep in mind I am fairly computer illiterate and will likely need literal word for word direction!:-o

After I get to Network and Sharing Center I'm not sure exactly what to right click in order to enable. I've got a red "X" between "Multiple Networks" and "Internet". Is that where I should be looking?

Thanks a lot! Amy

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Correct. Highlight one of the available networks and attempt to connect to that network.

Questions:

1. How many networks do you show as 'available'?

2. Have you attempted to reset your modem/router?

3. When you stated that you have "100+ tabs" open you weren't being literal, were you?

7. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

8. amym

amym Private E-2

Thanks for the replies, I have been away from home and unable to work on this. I still have no internet on my hardwired desktop.:cry

Thanks again, I obviously have no idea what I'm doing!

9. amym

amym Private E-2

Hi! I did an internet search and found something mentioning a McAfee update problem resulting in problems similar to mine. It mentioned restarting in safe mode and then going to the McAfee site to download a fix. I remembered seeing an icon for McAfee on my desktop, it was for a security scan type thing. I tried restarting in safe mode and now have internet (I'm on the affected computer now). I uninstalled the McAfee scanner, I must've unintentionally installed it to begin with, didn't want it.

So, I normally don't follow any online advice except from Major Geeks. Is what I did OK? Should I check anything? Do I need to download anything to completely remove the scanner? I looked through my security settings and Windows Defender is off, should it be on? What settings do I look at to make sure my computer is protected?

Thank you so much!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds