Settings up a router for multiple connections

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Basically i want to have 3 or 4 different SSID connections ranging from WEP - WPA-2.

Now the MOST frustrating part i dealt with so far , is my darn ISP saying that such a thing is IMPOSSIBLE, and this is coming from ''experienced'' technicians who have a decade+ of experience.

Well i can safely say IT IS possible because i had it configured this way in my old router for dsl, i just can't for the life of me remember how i did so.

Why do i want a wep connection? Well i have some older things that can only connect via that mode. The reason why i want to create other SSID's with wpa-2 is because i want to connect my newer devices via that method.

I can't find anything regarding this in the manufacturers page, MY ISP is beyond worthless and they state it can't be done when it was one of them who helped me with this a couple of years ago to begin with !

This is my router- http://www.actiontec.com/products/faqs.php?pid=214#q13

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Most traditional wireless routers will only allow one ssid per connection, and frankly if you called any isp around here they would refuse to help a home consumer with advanced level network configs. Now having said that, my router allows two ssid's that are configurable one for the 2.4ghz, and one for the 5ghz network. I couldn't locate a screenshot of that routers interface to attempt to locate it. Have a look at the wireless configuration section and see if you can figure it out. Was the previous router the same model as your fios one? or a different router? Different routers offer different options. If you could take a screenshot of each page of your routers interface we would be able to help you better.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

If you have a router running ddwrt you can add multiple wireless networks via the virtual interfaces. see http://www.dd-wrt.com/demo/Wireless_Basic.asp
    So you might get a new router and use your current modem as a bridge/pass through.
    I did that for my old Nintendo DS and some wireless cameras that don't support newer security features.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds