Setup did not find any hard disk drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cronoisme, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Cronoisme

Cronoisme Private First Class

Im trying to install xp on my netbook through an external usb drive and it keeps telling me this.

Setup did not find any hard disks install on your computer.
    Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. this may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic set up programs.

Now I know theres a hd. I checked in partition magic. So whats going on? I checked the boot sequence as well.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If the hard drive is recognized in the BIOS setup screen but the Windows install package doesn't recognize it, my gut feeling based on experience puts the odds at 25% defective hard drive, 75% motherboard issue.

If you have access to another hard drive in good condition, swap it out and try the Windows install again. If the "no hard drive" problem repeats (or the PC quickly develops issues within Windows), the drive controller on the motherboard is toast.

The key is not to spend hours on a losing proposition. If Windows crashes within a few days of install, the problem will only get worse. In this case, it's a choice between a new motherboard or a new PC.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Check in BIOS for a setting like SATA Operation or such. Want you want to do is have the SATA drive emulate an IDE drive. Give the model of the netbook and I might be able to find the setting.

Alternatively, your could slipstream the SATA drivers into your XP CD so the drive is recognized by setup. The SATA drivers would be available on the netbook website.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As Sach2 says- XP with sp2 needs a sata driver- XP with XP 3 should install O.K, as it will see the hard drive.
    Otherwise try in the Bios TRY SETTING TO AHCI

5. Cronoisme

Cronoisme Private First Class

Pshhh now it just wont turn on. I press the power button it turns on for a second than turns off lol. Oh well thing was a piece of garbage anyway.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds