Severe computer instability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by g2tegracer, Jul 19, 2004.

1. g2tegracer

g2tegracer Private E-2

System:

AMD Athlon 2100+
    NVidia NForce 2 Mobo (can't remember other detail and can't find box)
    512 mb RAM (Corsair if it matters)
    120 Gb Western Digital 7200 RPM HD
    GeForce 3 Ti200 64 MB
    Generic CDRW drive
    Generic 350 watt Power Supply

Problem:

My system has become very unstable, especially it seems while trying to communicate with the HD. Always crash when trying to load certain video games (Everquest mainly, World of Warcraft 3 included) or when trying to run anti-virus programs and sometimes while rebooting. There isn't anything vital on this PC so I've tried to format, however it crashes when i do that also. Tried a new 40 Gb HD and couldn't get windows to start installation on it (same crash as when I try to format), so I'm pretty sure it's not he HD.

Basically I'm looking for a way to test the rest of my system w/o having to buy everything I need to test.

2. g2tegracer

g2tegracer Private E-2

Gah, can't figure out how to edit, anyway forgot a couple things, running XP pro, and here is the error report I get when trying to format or install XP on new HD:

A Stop error has occured, to prevent damage to your machine windows will shut down now. If this is the first time you have seen this error, reboot and try again. If the error persists do the following.

Disable or uninstall antivirus or backup utilities (none currently running). Check hard drive configuration (only have 1 and it's drivers are gtg). Run chkdsk /f for corruption (done and nothing shown), check all drivers (all checked/updated today).

Technical Information:

*** Stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902f8, 0xf80dc048, 0xf80db48, 0x8019097c)

---------------------------

The error text and the numbers/letters at the bottom change each time, but it's always the same blue screen with the stop error and always roughly the same message.

3. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Oops... wrong button. ;)

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

(There's a 3 minute edit timeout on this board... that's why you couldn't edit. :) )

Stop error 0x24 is an NTFS file system error.

I think you're probably right about something being weird with the HDD. The first thing I would do is get a new ribbon cable for your HD. When you install it, here's some things to do:

1. Make sure it's one of the 80 conductor cables. It's pretty obvious the difference between them and the older 40 conductor ones. The wires on the 40's look like those on the floppy drive cable, the 80 conductor ones are really tiny.
    2. Connect the HDD to the connector at the end of the cable, not the one in the middle. You get higher signal quality this way, especially if there's no other drive on the cable (the signal tends to "echo" up the line).
    3. If you can, move your CD drive and second HD to a different IDE cable, too. Just get them off the same IDE channel as your main HDD. One of them might be bad and interfering.

You've already replaced your HDD, so if you still get these errors, the next most likely problem is a damaged motherboard.

5. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

also try the HD on the other IDE channel

6. g2tegracer

g2tegracer Private E-2

Wow, thanks da chicken, you nailed it. It's the middle of the night (3 am) so there aren't many places to get a new ribbon right now, but I moved the connection to the last one on the ribbon and everything is $$ now, thanks.

BTW, I will be going to get a new ribbon, maybe replace all the wiring in my PC.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds