sfc /scannow

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Jun 19, 2013.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    When I used to run this program on either pc it used to end by saying that Windows did not find any integrity violations.
    Now both just say that it is 100% complete.
    Is this because it is Win 8 x 64 now or that the program has changed or do I have a problem?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It's just a minor change to the program peterr, Verification is complete means AOK.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>When I try to run it again it says it is busy repairing or something like that.
    My brother told me I should wait until it does say that it found not integrity problems.

4. ziggie

ziggie Private E-2

peterr;
    You are correct, no problems with the system files but i'd prefer to use the repair options in maintenance!!

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>How do I do that?

6. Earthling

I guess what ziggie is saying is that if there's anything that requires attention the Action Center will let you know and look for solutions. But it has no direct equivalent to sfc as far as I can see.

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

SFC has not helped after 4 tries.
    I will either do a restore point or use Macrium.

I do not expect a reply as I will do something tomorrow.

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Hi B
    After the trouble with SFC returning since being fixed with the Macrium recovery, I finally ran the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool.
    There has been no return of that pesty problem since. I know you are aware of this but just in case........
    Peter

9. Earthling

Sorry peter, you've lost me. I'm not familiar with DISM at all and not sure either what problem you were trying to fix with it. I thought it was a command line thingy - you will have to educate me.

10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

11. Earthling

I guess there must be ppl who've gone through life and never heard of Ronald Reagan, or Winston Churchill and with me it's DISM and CheckSUR it seems. Even though that article says it's one of the most used tools I've just never heard of it or come across it in umpteen years of forum browsing.

So what is this all about? I gather you were using sfc but I don't know why, and it seems by running DISM you have rectified whatever the problem with sfc was. So is sfc now working normally, because as I understand it you use DISM to correct whatever it was that was stopping sfc from working?

12. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi B
    You are correct in that sfc reported corruption so I tried a lot of measures to remedy it.
    I run sfc about 4 x's a year.
    After Macrium recovered an image sfc was working ok.
    Then after updates it reverted to corruption. I have read there were some issues with the last updates.
    DISM corrected the issues and I've had no trouble since. It took about 15 minutes to run.
    I am not sure but I think this is an advance to a similar tool for Win 7.
    I think it is worth keeping in the tool box.
    Peter
    The following is what you run;
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

13. Earthling

Thanks for that. I've never experienced that type of corruption but should now know how to fix it should it happen. :)

14. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

My pleasure to share what little I can.
    I wonder how many people who have not run sfc have corrupted files; maybe more than we think.
    Sort of like scans for humans and finding medical issues incidentally.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds