shared drive getting low on space

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shelpdoggSVT, Jan 26, 2011.

1. shelpdoggSVT

shelpdoggSVT Private E-2

I need a network tool that will scan my shared drive to see who my biggest offenders are. I had 30gb of space the other day and now have 500mb.

This is crazy....I'm not sure who is doing it, but I need to find out. Does anyone have a recommendation for a scanning tool that I can use to find who, what, and where these files are located?
    Preferably freeware.....

Thanks !!!!!

Mike

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

To find what files are using space on a shared drive is easyish and can use a tool like WinDirStat or Jdiskreport

But to know what user has saved these files could be more long winded as in you may need to do as simple as right click and properties on the large new files to see the security properties as to the user who saved it, or its possible this Network tool may help, last time I used it I was not needing to do the task you wanted and I'm not on a network at present to test.

But worth a try as its free Desktop Central HERE

3. shelpdoggSVT

shelpdoggSVT Private E-2

Thanks David....I'll give those a try.

As I work more and more into the role of Network Administrator, these tools make my job easier and are nice to have.

Thanks again!!!

Mike

4. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hey shelpdoggSVT,

you may want to try enabling Disk Quotas.

right click on the shared drive and select properties.
    click the Quota tab and go from there.

Techsent

5. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

6. shelpdoggSVT

shelpdoggSVT Private E-2

Techsent.....Thanks for the suggestion..I don't really want to go down that road just yet though. If it gets to the point where people won't clean up their shared user directories, then I may have to implement DQ's. I need to be sure they aren't storing MP3's and personal pictures on the network......they can store that on their own C drive.

thanks cat5e......I'll give that a try as well!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds