Shared printer drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

My HP Officejet 4215 All-in-one is physically connected to my Win 7 64 bit PC and is shared on the network. My wife's 32 bit Vista can see the printer but can't print to it. I believe additional drivers have to be installed, but the system is asking me to point to the folder the driver is in, and has inserted ntprint.inf as being the file it wants. However the drivers are contained in a huge exe file containing far more than just the print driver and I'm totally mystified as to what I'm supposed to do next.

I also have a Vista 32 bit system on the same comp and her system prints just fine to that. No additional drivers were requested during setup.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Earthling

Try this info HERE from HP to see if the driver file is in that location they list.

3. Earthling

Hi Halo

Discovered that when W7 was setting itself up it found the printer and set it up in the workgroup with the path \\WINDOWS_7\printername. The comp is not named WINDOWS_7, and in fact that name cannot be used as it contains illegal characters. This though is the reason that OH's comp can see it, but printing actually fails. It doesn't seem to be a driver issue, not atm anyway. More a case of W7 being just a bit TOO clever.

4. Earthling

Sorted by deleting the printer with the incorrect path and then using Vista's Add Printer wizard to get to the correct one. Finally had to turn off password protected sharing in Win 7 - it was either that or create a new password protected user account for OH. Both printers are now available in Vista, but only one can be active at any one time of course.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds